Originally Posted by rdoactive
Your 502 will be fine.
Yes it will.

Ken
Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minxguy
The oil spec sheet you posted is on rotella 15w40 not straight 40w . I talked with shell and they told me to use 15w40 not
to keen on the straight 40 . But mercruiser used to use straight 40 . I believe I can use it but just looking to see how many people out their are using straight 40 weight oil.

Last edited by alecsammy; 03-02-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Registered

You are correct, I am sorry. 15w40 is a more popular viscosity. I don't have an analysis on Rotella SAE 40.

It is very unlikely a motorbuilder would use an SAE 40 for break in.

At operating temps, 210F oil temp, there is no difference between a 15w40 or a SAE 40. They both must meet a specfic specfication at that temp.

At oil temps below that, a 15w40 will flow easier than a SAE 40 because of the multi-viscosity properties.

At oil temps above 210F a 15w40 will thin less than a SAE 40 because of the multi-viscositiy properties.

I would side with the Shell guy on this one.

Even Mercury has gone to a multi-vis 25w40.

A SAE 40 will work, don't get me wrong, but you have to make sure the oil is up to temp before running hard and when you are running hard you should try to keep the oil temp in the 210-240 range.

You even state "Merc used to use straight 40".

Oil technologhy has come a long, long way since Merc recommended a SAE 40.

Ken
Old 03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I run 15w40 mobil super 1300 delvac in my 502 and My 2006powerstroke

Extra High Performance Diesel Engine Oil

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is an extra high performance diesel engine oil that helps extend engine life and drain intervals in the most severe on and off-highway applications. The advanced chemistry of this product delivers exceptional performance in both modern high-output, low-emission engines including those with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) as well as older engines operating on low or higher sulfur fuel. As a result, this product meets or exceeds the new API CI-4 service category and JASO industry specifications.

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is recommended for use in a wide range of heavy-duty applications and operating environments found in the trucking, mining, construction, quarrying, and agricultural industries. This product also meets the latest API specifications for gasoline engines and mixed fleets.

The outstanding performance reserve of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is the result of extensive cooperative development work with major OEMs and advanced additive chemistry with patented Trimer technology. These enhancements assure excellent control of oil thickening due to soot buildup and exposure to higher temperatures and provide outstanding resistance to oxidation, corrosion, wear, and high temperature deposits. Due to its unique formulation, it also meets the more demanding SAE 10W cold temperature pumping requirements.

Features and Expected Benefits

Modern high output, low emission diesel engines generate higher levels of soot and run hotter than older naturally aspirated engines which significantly increases the demands on engine lubricants. Current tighter engine designs reduce oil consumption, resulting in less fresh oil makeup to replenish depleted additives. Top piston rings are located higher on the piston bringing the oil film closer to the combustion chamber where higher temperatures increase thermal stress on the lubricant. Higher fuel injector pressure and retarded timing improve exhaust emission control, but also increase engine temperatures and increase soot loads including those engines operating with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). The key benefits include:

Features
Expected Advantages and Benefits
Excellent thermal and oxidation stability Reduced low temperature sludge build-up and high temperature deposits
Excellent TBN reserves Improved soot handling and extended drain intervals
Stay-in-grade shear stability Reduced oil consumption and wear protection
Maintains viscosity in severe, high temperature service
Outstanding high temp/high shear performance Reduced engine scuffing and bore polishing which extends engine life
Excellent low temperature pumpability Easier engine start-up and reduced wear
Outstanding resistance to corrosion Longer life of critical wear surfaces
Component compatibility Longer gasket and seal life
Meets demanding specifications of key OEMs and latest API gasoline service category One engine oil for mixed fleet operations

Applications

Recommended for use in high performance diesel applications including the latest turbo-charged, low emission engines designs featuring EGR technology
On-highway applications operating in both high speed/high load and short haul pick-up/delivery
Off-highway applications operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
Recommended for use in high performance gasoline engines and mixed fleet operators Diesel-powered equipment from American and Japanese OEMs
On highway heavy-duty trucking and off highway including: construction, mining, quarrying, and agriculture
Transmissions requiring Allison C-4 (SAE 15W-40 Grade)

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 meets the following industry and builder specifications:

API CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/CF/SL/SJ
ACEA E5
JASO DH-1
Global DHD-1
Detroit Diesel DD 7SE 270

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 has the following builder approvals:

Volvo VDS-3, VDS-2
Mack EO-N Premium Plus, EO-M Plus
Cummins CES 20078/76
Daimler Chrysler MB 228.3
Detroit Diesel CC Application TSB 01-TS-07

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is recommended for use in applications requiring:

Mack EO-M, EO-N
Cummins 20071
Allison C-4

Typical Properties

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40

SAE Grade 15W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ēC 117
cSt @ 100ēC 15.5
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 140
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.4
Total Base # , mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 12
Pour Point, ēC, ASTM D 97 -33
Flash Point, ēC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @ 15ēC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.877
Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by alecsammy
Minxguy
The oil spec sheet you posted is on rotella 15w40 not straight 40w . I talked with shell and they told me to use 15w40 not
to keen on the straight 40 . But mercruiser used to use straight 40 . I believe I can use it but just looking to see how many people out their are using straight 40 weight oil.
Alecsammy, if the Rotella SAE 40 also meets an API SL rating, the test results for the 15w40 would be typical of the SAE 40 also.

The additive package has nothing to do woth the viscosity.

Ken
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Registered

Would the Rotella be ok for a 94 Mercruiser 7.4L 330HP carbureted? Also, how much oil do these engines take.