Paging Audiofn!!!

Notices

Paging Audiofn!!!

Old 03-18-2002, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Audiofn!!!

Jon,
What do you suggest I do. I am going to be upgrading my boat sound system and right now I have two Optima batteries and a stock alternator setup. I run two amps, radio, cd changer. When I am idling it sometimes runs out of electrical power. All my wiring is good. I was thinking I need to upgrade the output of the alternator(currently 60 amps) and install something like capacitors in the power line because I am going to bigger amps and installing subs.

Let me know what you think.

P.S. I'll be seeing you at LOTO Mem weekend.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-18-2002, 08:23 PM
FWK

Dave what amps do you have. I don't know what you mean by it runs out of power. What guage power wire do you have? Do you mean that the amps shut down? If you put stiffening caps on witht he amps it will help when you hit a bass note. There are a lot better batteries than the optimas as far as amp output and amp hours. Forrest

Old 03-18-2002, 11:23 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First off make sure BOTH of your batteries are good. Depending on the size of your amps you have to make sure you are not drawing more then your alternator can supply. One thing you can do is try and get a smaller pully on the alternator. This will spin it up faster so that it will carge at idle. Most altornators will not charge at idle more then a couple of amps. SO if you spin it up a little faster that will help you out. Caps will help but if you are drawing down your battery they will only buy you a couple min. at best. Give us more info to work with. What amps do you have/are you putting in? Speaker Wire is again important as well.

Jon
Old 03-19-2002, 08:45 AM
VIP Member

Audiofn and FWK,
I am probably going to use Sony amps (friend is local dist).The problem now is that at high volume my voltage drops to around 11 volts. Sometimes the radio even shuts off momentarily. All wiring is heavy guage for both power and speakers.

Dave
Old 03-19-2002, 10:09 AM
FWK

How is the voltage when the system is off?A big system will draw the voltage down and caps would help a instantaneous draw on the batteries.Your application probably will require 4 guage wire for the amps.what amps do you have now? what guage wire and where are the amps grounded? Forrest

Last edited by FWK; 03-19-2002 at 10:11 AM.

Old 03-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Does the voltage drop while at idle only or even at high RPM's?

60 amps is not a lot for a larger system. I have two 90 ampers on my boat.

Jon
Old 03-19-2002, 12:30 PM
VIP Member

My voltage with motor off is 12.6. Motor running is 13-14.5. The problem occurs with motor running anytime below 1200 rpm. I currently have some cheap amps. Maybe they are the cause of the problem????

Dave
Old 03-19-2002, 09:37 PM
FWK

What is the voltage at idle with the stereo off? Forrest

Old 03-19-2002, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

As stated above voltage is between 13-14.5 volts idle to wide open.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:32 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

You need to either get smaller pulleys or get alternators that will charge at lower speads. Most stop charging lower then 1000rpms to keep the motor from being loaded up and stalling.

Jon

Quick Reply: Paging Audiofn!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.