Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors??? >

1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors???

Notices
View Poll Results: Which motor should I put in my 47 Fountain Flat Deck??
1350 Sterlings (or similar)
53.70%
777ci NA All Motor
29.63%
None of the above
16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors???

Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blowers would be my choice, n/a u would have to turn the rpms higher i think to get where u want to be also the drag of the trans and drives you would like the excelleration of the blowers on some larger cubes.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NA - all the way. Especially 777's
Less problems overall and no belt dust all over the bilge.

Just make sure the 7's are injected with Kinslers or Hogan style sheet metal

No knock on Sterlings they are as good as it gets- But if you do a lot of boating you'll be doing a lot of wrenching and the rebuild cost will bring tears to your eyes.

Uncle Dave
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem with the 700+++ci engines is that the parts become very specialized. Translation....expensive and hard to get. I do a 1200/1400 efi that is good for 100-125 hours. It will make 1200+ on pump gas and 1400+ on 100 octane. This is done with a hydraulic roller. That is why I can get that much time out of them. I also do a 1075 that will go 150-175 hours. Certainly not a knock against Sterling, but the engines need to be gone through at such short intervals because of the valvetrain. Big Chief heads and a solid roller with titanium valves will only last so long. I'm using standard 23 deg heads with easy to get parts. The engines also come with a 90 day warranty. Sterling builds a hell of an engine, no doubt about that. We just go about it a different way.
I also use a MEFI computer so that any Mercruiser mechanic can service and/or repair the engine. He can plug in a Merc scan tool and treat it as if it were a 500 efi. By doing this, it does not have to come back to me for every little problem. Let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks, Eddie.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

N/A cannot hang with the Blower motors, especially in this application.

In order to get any torque (The most important thing) you have to have a large ci, engine and this will not spin a lot of RPM. Try to run the boat fast means you have to wind them up also and guess what happens then.. Poof.

Just tried this route this summer. 750 ci naturally aspirated 850 hp with 900ish torque. Sure boat ran but when trying to run the things at 5,100 rpm the crank let GO. Ran tall gear, ran big pitch, yea yea yea. Still didn't like running long at speed. Sure can cruise slow but what's the point.

Blower is really the easiest way to go and as Eddie stated the engines will live and make more power as well as more torque and now days they are a no brainier.

The choice is also a no brainier.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rik

In order to get any torque (The most important thing) you have to have a large ci, engine and this will not spin a lot of RPM. Try to run the boat fast means you have to wind them up also and guess what happens then.. Poof.

Just tried this route this summer. 750 ci naturally aspirated 850 hp with 900ish torque. Sure boat ran but when trying to run the things at 5,100 rpm the crank let GO. Ran tall gear, ran big pitch, yea yea yea. Still didn't like running long at speed. Sure can cruise slow but what's the point.

Blower is really the easiest way to go and as Eddie stated the engines will live and make more power as well as more torque and now days they are a no brainier.

Right there with ya. Hard to argue with 1200hp on pump gas, and it still likes to rev.

Darrell.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 AM
VIP Member

Again I say blower motors !!! Whipple is getting around 900 hp out of a somewhat stock 500 EFI with their new blower on it. So lets say you build a 572 ci motor with good heads and stuff and put a new Whipple on it. You will be 1000-1100 Hp and it will last for many seasons, and you will never be sorry you went with blowers.

As Eddie said, big CI means special parts and they do not live long as they tear themselves apart internally.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

question guys... how many cubes are the Sterling 1350's? Does anyone know the boar and stroke?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blown no question!! Valve train is the limits super charged or not.. 150 hrs is very common.. Rudy with DRYDEN PERFORMANCE is over 200hrs on 555 15# at 6700 all day long. Its in Wild Warriors 37 Talon.. Mark with Precision Marine has had many blown set ups with 160-180 hrs before inspections. 25 yrs running blowers and will never go back!!!
Attached Thumbnails 1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors???-img_0508.jpg  

Last edited by HotPursuit; 03-04-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik

Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

ok guys... here is one for you. What about "dockability"??? is the idle more erratic with blown motors???

I can just imagine trying to dock my 47 in a harsh current with one motor stalling and the other one blipping my rpm gauge.

Just food for thought. I'd like to hear from you blower guys about your own experiences.. and please, be honest!!!!

Quick Reply: 1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.