Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors??? >

1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors???

Notices
View Poll Results: Which motor should I put in my 47 Fountain Flat Deck??
1350 Sterlings (or similar)
53.70%
777ci NA All Motor
29.63%
None of the above
16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

1350hp Sterlings or 777ci NA all motors???

Old 03-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for ALL of the positive comments guys!!!! There are so many different directions to go on this project, that it is really hard to decide.

I can see now that I should have posted a few more choices on the motor selection pole. Some good points have been raised... A few of you mentioned Cummings as an option. I grew up working on turbo based motors and have manufactured my own turbo motors via CAD-CAM (drag motors). On a twin turbo set up I could get about 800hp with 1200tq out of the 5.9 diesels. However... I'd be running the piss out of them (over 48lbs of boost!!)... and still not hitting my MPH target. The diesels would need 2 or 3 speed trannies as well... I have not ruled this out as an option, but... I'd like something loud enough to tick off the neighbors as well.

This is kind of hindsight on my part... but something that we really have not talked about are turbo set ups?? I have experience with TT designs and custom EFI set ups. What if I through caution to the wind and put together my own TT package? Is there something that draws the offshore crew away from going a gas turbo route? I like turbo's because you can adjust the boost from the cockpit. Using a 632 I can get an economical 850hp from the low boost setting.... all the way up to 1350hp on a high boost setting.... all with the touch of a button. Thoughts??
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamPSI
Thank you for ALL of the positive comments guys!!!! There are so many different directions to go on this project, that it is really hard to decide.

I can see now that I should have posted a few more choices on the motor selection pole. Some good points have been raised... A few of you mentioned Cummings as an option. I grew up working on turbo based motors and have manufactured my own turbo motors via CAD-CAM (drag motors). On a twin turbo set up I could get about 800hp with 1200tq out of the 5.9 diesels. However... I'd be running the piss out of them (over 48lbs of boost!!)... and still not hitting my MPH target. The diesels would need 2 or 3 speed trannies as well... I have not ruled this out as an option, but... I'd like something loud enough to tick off the neighbors as well.

This is kind of hindsight on my part... but something that we really have not talked about are turbo set ups?? I have experience with TT designs and custom EFI set ups. What if I through caution to the wind and put together my own TT package? Is there something that draws the offshore crew away from going a gas turbo route? I like turbo's because you can adjust the boost from the cockpit. Using a 632 I can get an economical 850hp from the low boost setting.... all the way up to 1350hp on a high boost setting.... all with the touch of a button. Thoughts??
Tyson Garvin (Big Yellow Cat) made some bad a$$ 572's that made 1800 each I think. He had them in an Apache Cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4mYH...e=channel_page
Old 03-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OU Want Some, has a set of 1550 sterling with headers that he took out of the bud select boat that he want to sell.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DONZI28ZX
GO FIND A 1350 OR 777 NA, WITH 2 YEARS AND 5000 HOURS OF PEACE OF MIND, IM BULLET PROOF, EVERY 100 HOURS YOU ARE PUTTING IN 10K WAIT 20K TWO MOTORS IN YOUR BOAT JUST IN THE MOTORS. THATS NOT FUN. IT ALL IN WHAT YOU WANT. WITH CUMMINS YOU CAN GO AND DO MORE THAN THOSE BIG GAS MOTORS. JUST MY 2 CENTS....
I think I see a pole coming. I believe there are more people that would want to hear a 1000hp big block than a cummins. A cummins is great for pulling my boat on the trailer. I love wrenching on my motors. That's why I'm a motor head. Any way if we wanted practical would we be running these things in the first place?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=TeamPSI;2813844]Thank you for ALL of the positive comments guys!!!! There are so many different directions to go on this project, that it is really hard to decide.

Between the Sterling's and the 700s I would also say Sterling all the way.
like Eddy and others have said just component wise 5k+ for huge one off custom cranks ,$450.00 per Carrillo mile long connecting rod,valve train costs etc.you can have 100k into each engine alone real easy.
Not to mention the additional ware and tear with all that piston speed even when only running at 5000 rpms with that huge stroke.
I would run the Sterling's for a season and than change her out to a high dollar hydraulic set up and pretty much forget about pulling valve covers for several hundred hrs.
I too like turbos and their potential in the marine environment.
Turbos are the ticket for high hp, you can defiantly safety make way more than 1350hp with a twin turbo 600 ci engine by accident .
But you wont get that big power sound like you will with a NA or blown mill,very quiet in comparison.
Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Registered

I'm with Eddie and WildWarrior. Those large CI are bastards as far as parts, super tall deck blocks, non-standard bore spacing, long rods, high piston speeds, giant cranks (tons of mallory in them), long pushrods, custom intakes, etc.

Most guys shy away from the Big Chief heads for longevity due to the pushrod angles and lengths. I would like to know the "secrets" of long life on a Big Chief headed engine though. Jesel has some trick valve train stuff.

Superchargers are the way to go. NA can make horsepower, but you have to run more rpms(ruins peoples motors). The only reason racers don't run superchargers is because the rules don't let them (unless NOS), and you don't have to abide by sanction body rules. And you can get a flatter torque curve with the supercharger.

I know Sterling has a great reputation, but there are other good builders as well.

Lower rpms with hydraulic lifters is what ya want for lower maintenance. Maybe consider meth injection.

Not to mention, superchargers look cool. If you spend all that money, you want some recognition for it.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F*ck it. How about 4 dozen Rotax engines?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Registered

Default So whats it going to be?

This threads f-ing hilarious.

If Im spending YOUR money Ill take the 1300's every day!
Ever get price on a rebuild for a set of sterling 1300's?

The Merc 1075 is anywhere between 23& 33K an engine. at 125 hours max it needs a 50 hour tighten up as well... (thats not a sterling 1300 BTW its a 1074)

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...t=1075+rebuild

The cost of buying a package is one thing- the cost of living with it is another entirely.

Ill put 125 hours on one of my 2 boats from April-November every year.

If Im living with it fueling it and rebuilding it, or financing it, then Ill check into reality hotel and go NA. (actually NA fuel injected is what you want)

Youll get enough performance to be in the top 2-8% of guys on any given body of water at any given time- and a reasonable TRUE cost per hour to operate.

But if it's your money - then I'd spare NO expense! Go turbine.

UD