Notices

lucas oil

Old 03-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lucas oil

this prob should have been added to the lubrication thread, but has anyone tried or know much about Lucas oil? They have a 20-50 synthetic, that is made for racing, and a line of oil additives made for racing. Curious if they are snake oil or not?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 266ltd
this prob should have been added to the lubrication thread, but has anyone tried or know much about Lucas oil? They have a 20-50 synthetic, that is made for racing, and a line of oil additives made for racing. Curious if they are snake oil or not?
Lucas make a great product, i use the oil additives in alot of cars that have ticking,or engine noise it quiets them up and lasts. dont run anything in my boat but royal purple race 51,
Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Lucas makes a 20w50 racing oil, why do you need a racing oil additive? Is this for adding to your oil to make it racing oil?

Didn't Rage just post in the Marine Lubrication thread that race oil contains less of the additives because the oil is changed after a race? And that you don't need the big slug of additive because you are changing the oil so often?

So I just ask, if race oil is to changed after every race due to the fact it has less additive, is the Lucas oils additive only to be used in race oil to bring the additive package up to conventional oil spec to be run longer or is someone not telling the truth as to the additive package of race oil or can you add the additive to regular oil and now have race oil.

Personally, adding an additive to an all ready full formula, chemically balanced lubricant would be like adding extra eggs to a boxed cake mix. Yeah you could still bake the cake, but would it be better.

Run a high quality product and leave it alone.

Ken
Old 04-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Registered

I have 500hp carb, and changed my oil probably 15 hours ago, and I run Mobil 1, 15w-50. I am thinking about adding a quart of the lucas oil, and I am curious if it will be beneficial to do that? Also, is there is specific kind for marine use??
Old 04-25-2009, 05:28 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
If Lucas makes a 20w50 racing oil, why do you need a racing oil additive? Is this for adding to your oil to make it racing oil?

Didn't Rage just post in the Marine Lubrication thread that race oil contains less of the additives because the oil is changed after a race? And that you don't need the big slug of additive because you are changing the oil so often?

So I just ask, if race oil is to changed after every race due to the fact it has less additive, is the Lucas oils additive only to be used in race oil to bring the additive package up to conventional oil spec to be run longer or is someone not telling the truth as to the additive package of race oil or can you add the additive to regular oil and now have race oil.

Personally, adding an additive to an all ready full formula, chemically balanced lubricant would be like adding extra eggs to a boxed cake mix. Yeah you could still bake the cake, but would it be better.

Run a high quality product and leave it alone.

Ken
the lucas oil additives are just stabilzers... one is for mineral and one is for synthetic. they also have a stop leak. I am not sure what "racing" additive you are talking about.

Their 20w50 racing oil is used a lot in the offshore race boats, and no, it's not changed every race.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...?iid=4&catid=6
Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Registered

Would you recommend the synthetic stabilizer for my situation?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GrandLake353
Would you recommend the synthetic stabilizer for my situation?
I wouldn't worry about it. Just keeping using the mobil 1.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info! I'm trying to find a trailer so that I can make it up to the shootout this year...