Livorsi tachs acting strange - need help please >

Livorsi tachs acting strange - need help please

Notices

Livorsi tachs acting strange - need help please

Old 04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Check the grounds on the modules. They have a black ground wire and the module case/mounting plate also needs to be grounded.
I had a similar issue last season. My stdb tach would flutter and the engine was skipping at higher rpm's. After a bit of troubleshooting, we found the problem to be a loose ignition module ground.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tach suppresor goes in line on the signal wire. It is a simple install. Also bad spark plug wires could add to the signal noise on tach and will give it iratic readings.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GAUGETHIS
The tach suppresor goes in line on the signal wire. It is a simple install. Also bad spark plug wires could add to the signal noise on tach and will give it iratic readings.
Can you give me a part number and contact for purchase?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tried all this and STILL no luck!!

This is everything we tried:

used an MSD tach generator, simulating engine running, tested good, tachs worked fine to the rev limiter.

Other grounds at gauges were checked; all were good, showed 12.9 volts at each gauge positive to negative.

Also did a sweep test on each gauge by grounding sensors on both motors to a known good ground, function tested normal.
Sytem voltage is 14.2 volts on both engines idling.

Hooked a known good ground wire to every ground possible on both engines, did a test run after each connection.....

Tachs work great right up to about 3800 RPM, and they both STILL start fluttering and go back down toward zero.
I am really at a loss here....
Anything I am missing here, this is really baffling me here, more suggestions would be much appreciated....

Thanks. Mark
Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Registered

This may seem like an odd way to check your tachs, but see if one of your friends wouldn't mind putting YOUR tach in his boat. If it works (which, from your MSD generator, would suggest that it will work just fine), you have ruled out the tach. One of my boats had a similar problem where the tach and water temperature gauge (but none of the other gauges) were fluttering/spiking and we checked everything ... except a couple months later the alternator literally fell apart ... the long screws that held the cases together had vibrated out. Made a mess of the alternator, but, when it was rebuilt, the gauges quit their eratic traits.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Did you use new spark plug wires with new engines or reuse the old ones????

What are the ignition modules bolted to????
Old 04-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I think you have a bad ground or loose sender wire somewhere. Pull the plug on the wiring harness by the engine and spread the prongs and clean if needed. Check for loose ground straps or even not connected wires on the engine. I say this because you just installed the engines and now you have problems. I doubt you have gauge issues. The engine can run fine but if the ground to the dash is not hooked up or loose...
X 2, start the engine up then go back and wiggle the main power wire harness and watch all the gauges and see if they wig out at all or some times the engine will die.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If the new engines have fresh paint, we always removed a spot to paint where the V-6 module are bolted to the blocks. Did you change anything in your main grounding set up from the batteries? How about the ground jump from engine to engine?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Did you use new spark plug wires with new engines or reuse the old ones????

What are the ignition modules bolted to????
Brand new spark plug wires. It did it right off the bat with a new pair of taylor's on there. Even replaced those Friday with a new set of MSD wires that have a lower resistence rating....

Factory location, and they are grounded, paint is not an issue.
No loose wires, or grounds, we checjed every one and polished each one up.....
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boat teck
X 2, start the engine up then go back and wiggle the main power wire harness and watch all the gauges and see if they wig out at all or some times the engine will die.
We did this too.... well not the wiggling it while it was running but we cleaned each prong and spread them out a little so they would make a better connection....

What is strange here, is this seems like the tachs are getting some kind of "interference" at the same time, at the same rpm.... what could cause that?/ We are starting to think about the alternators, maybe disconnecting the purple wire from the alternators, and see if it is cooming from them....

We have had the Mercury manual out for the last two days following the entire wiring diagrams.... We are running out of things to look at.... but SOMETHING is causing this!

I will try wiggling the cannon plug while motors are runnning and have someone watch the gauges this morning.

Please keep throwing ideas our way please! I appreciate it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.