Livorsi tachs acting strange - need help please >

Livorsi tachs acting strange - need help please

Notices

Livorsi tachs acting strange - need help please

Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
If the new engines have fresh paint, we always removed a spot to paint where the V-6 module are bolted to the blocks. Did you change anything in your main grounding set up from the batteries? How about the ground jump from engine to engine?

We checked that... paint has been removed were the modules are bolted up and nothing else has changed. This was a removal and re-installation by a builder. The ONLY thing different is the blocks are 502 blocks now instead of 454.
Engine to engine ground jump is the same too...
Old 04-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Registered

Default Progress made!

We disconeected the alternators from the system entirely; removed the plug and the wires connecting to it... and the tachs worked..... BUT, the alternators work (are charging at least) because the gauges read 14 volts when connected and 12 when they are not.... looks like this has to be something in the harness to the alternators? the purple wire maybe?

Any thoughts around this? maybe an explanation of the alternators figure into the system? Somehow they send some kind of signal or interupt at about 3800 rpm that make the tachs goof out when connected. Again, thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

I don't know a solution, but at least you are getting it narrowed down.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure 5 and 7 plug wires are not running right next to each other in the wire looms. They need to be seperated by at least 1 other plug wire.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My next try is to run a ground wire from the dist. cap screw to a knwon good ground. I've been told the distributor grounding can cause this problem.

BT
Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
My next try is to run a ground wire from the dist. cap screw to a knwon good ground. I've been told the distributor grounding can cause this problem.

BT
That is a good one could be some paint on the block at distributor try reseting the timing, turn the dist a bunch of times to get a good seat, I have had to do this before.The purple wire is the ign feed wire out of the alt, I guess if a diode or something is bad it could do this but i have never seen or heard of something like this, But the other part of me says all you are doing is unhooking the ign system main power, But i could be wrong becouse it worked. Did the wiggel test do any thing? What is the temps of the alt, From what I have seen most run 120- 150 degress But I have seen them up to 290-300 in less then too min.

Last edited by Boat Tech; 04-27-2009 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Registered

By unhooking the alternators you lower the system volts by 2-3 volts and that alone can make a big difference because of the less amp draw on each circuit.
Hook it back up and check for A/C voltage out the back of the alt if it is more than .5 volt replace it.
Also did you put in new pick up coils in the dist, I have seen this cause a few tach issues before.

I will be down to the lake this weekend delivering the Fountain if you don't have it fixed yet and let me know maybe I can take a quick look.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by waconda
By unhooking the alternators you lower the system volts by 2-3 volts and that alone can make a big difference because of the less amp draw on each circuit.
Hook it back up and check for A/C voltage out the back of the alt if it is more than .5 volt replace it.
Also did you put in new pick up coils in the dist, I have seen this cause a few tach issues before.

I will be down to the lake this weekend delivering the Fountain if you don't have it fixed yet and let me know maybe I can take a quick look.
Thanks John, I appreciate that.... i will be back down Friday night and doing more testing on it with my buddy Saturday morning.... I am in the same cove as the fountain you are delivering... Condos right across the cove, Cigarette is at the the end of the inside dock... Third from last slip... the very end slip is a 36' and always empty, feel free to pull in there. I will probably be there, would like to meetyou and say hello if nothing else!

I tried the wiggle test withthe cannon plug, it seems all good. But from the responses, I need to check the 5 and 7 plug wires in the loom, Alternators have not been changed probably in the last 7 years at least. I will check with Mike, the previous owner. I guess its possible they are bad even though they are charging the system? I also notice the volt meter on one of the motors kinda flutters a little and doesnt hold true like the other, but it has always done that.

Mark
Old 04-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by eichhoma
Thanks John, I appreciate that.... i will be back down Friday night and doing more testing on it with my buddy Saturday morning.... I am in the same cove as the fountain you are delivering... Condos right across the cove, Cigarette is at the the end of the inside dock... Third from last slip... the very end slip is a 36' and always empty, feel free to pull in there. I will probably be there, would like to meetyou and say hello if nothing else!

I tried the wiggle test withthe cannon plug, it seems all good. But from the responses, I need to check the 5 and 7 plug wires in the loom, Alternators have not been changed probably in the last 7 years at least. I will check with Mike, the previous owner. I guess its possible they are bad even though they are charging the system? I also notice the volt meter on one of the motors kinda flutters a little and doesnt hold true like the other, but it has always done that.

Mark
Give me a call on Friday and let me know we will be leaving about noon.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Registered

Will do, thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.