need help with strange 7.4MPI problem >

need help with strange 7.4MPI problem

Notices

need help with strange 7.4MPI problem

Old 05-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtc
The problem turned out to be a bad computer.

Thanks for the help!

Tom
That only took a month to diagnose and fix. That's pretty good for EFI.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Actually, it sat for a number of weeks since I had other things to do in the interim. Once I got to it, it took only about half an hour. Based on the symptoms and reading the manual, I had pretty much determined that it had to be either fuel pressure or the computer. I scanned the codes (none were stored - I used a $39 Rinda checker I already had), checked the fuel pressure (which was perfect - I used my old A/C test set), and then swapped the computer in from the starboard engine. Success.

As I said earlier, even with this issue, nothing would ever make me go back to a carburetor and mechanical ignition advance.

Tom

Last edited by tomtc; 05-10-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pismo10
with the factory workshop manual, a scanner and someone that can read , it was a 20 minute diagnosis and fix.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered

. .

Last edited by tomtc; 05-14-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Registered

I know this is an old post but what did you find? I'm dealing with a similar issue like this as well on a 98 7.4mpi. After 45 min of run time I lose power bad, the fuel pump is louder than sh!t. If I let it sit for a bit I can run for awhile before it happens again. I have replaced the injectors so far(had 3 that tested bad) and now i'm going to order a new pump and regulators.The injectors helped getting on plane but the 45 min problem is still there. I am really confused on this one. Whats up with the fuel pump whining so loud?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Registered

It turned out to be a bad engine computer (ECM) in my case. I found a used one for 280 bucks on Ebay and it solved the problem.

Tom
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dbkski
O.K. So enlighten me. How does an ECU that has been
running a 7.4L MPI since 1999 suddenly go bad? I know
he "fixed" his problem with an E-Bay replacement but what
was the problem?
Here is the quote from the first message in this thread which describes the problem:

At all RPMs below 4,000, it occasionally starts running VERY rich and power and rpm drops way off. It will do this sometime for just a few seconds and other times for minutes. I have a Floscan and when the problem occurs, the fuel flow will jump way up. For example, at idle it will jump from about 1.2 gph to 5 gph or so. At 2,200 rpm (about the fastest it will run when the problem occurs), it jumps to something like 19gph. When the problem occurs, you can smell the strong odor of the unburned fuel. It does this both when the engine is basically cold and when it is fully warmed up.

If above about 4,000 rpm it runs just fine and the problem does not reoccur until I slow back down and the rpm drops.

This weekend, the problem took on a different nature. Now, the opposite is happening. The fuel flow is very low (lean) for the engine speed and load, and the engine is running VERY rough. For example, it is only showing about 5.5gph at 2,500 rpm, about the fastest it will now run under any circumstances. The problem is now also no longer intermittent and is occurring constantly.

The ECM on the engine is a computer and like any electronic device, it can develop a problem. In this case it appears it was the driver for one of the two banks of injectors. Since everything was fine as far as the computer was concerned (it has no way to know that one set of injectors was not firing properly - this was before the later versions which can do an injector test), no codes were set. It's rare for an ECM to fail but it can happen.

Tom

Last edited by tomtc; 08-03-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Merc had a problem with a bunch of bad ECM's on the 7.4L MPI early in it's run (1998 & 1999 models). I bought a used 1999 Crownline in Sept. of 2002. In April of 2003, I was having hard start problems. My Merc tech sent the ECM into Merc and even with it being well out of warranty Merc shipped back a new ECM free of charge.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Merc had a problem with a bunch of bad ECM's on the 7.4L MPI early in it's run (1998 & 1999 models). I bought a used 1999 Crownline in Sept. of 2002. In April of 2003, I was having hard start problems. My Merc tech sent the ECM into Merc and even with it being well out of warranty Merc shipped back a new ECM free of charge.
That was true of the 16236999 version (which is what I had on my engines) but not the later 16237009 version (which is what I found on Ebay). The problem is, that ECM (EFI-3) is no longer available from Merc or anyone else. It went out of production with the 2003 model year engines (which moved to the EFI-4 and closed loop operation). The only option these days is to find a used one or use the 861720T2 upgrade kit which included an EFI-4 ECM and a wiring harness conversion kit. That's an expensive solution however.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dbkski
tomtc - I did not mean the boat. I am talking specifically
what is wrong with the ECU/ECM? Programming error?
Something caused your engine to perform poorly. I am
thinking of the next guy who may have the same situation.
If he knows what chain of events brought your engine's
ECU down it would save him time. My Cobalt is a '99 and
came with a 7.4L MPI. It ran perfectly until the day I sold
it and dropped in the 502. I am sure someone knows the
real story of the "bad ECUs". Did your low voltage issue
cause bad info to get stored in the ECU never to be
overwritten? As a programmer I am often told to chase down
a "programming error" or "fix a bad program". I laugh to
myself since it is always something else. Now I get that
most mechanics or owners don't really care what the real
problem with the boat was just that it runs well and only
cost a few $100's. I am just looking for info from someone
who knows the Merc MEFI ECU's and the real cause of
your engine's problem.
There is no way to know definitively know what failed in the ECM though, as I said, it appears to be one of the injector drivers based on the symptoms. There is also no way to know what caused the failure though I suspect that it was a electronic component (mosfet, etc.) in the driver circuit and that the failure was not related to any specific cause and effect. The programming check code is unchanged and correct so it is highly unlikely that it was a programming error or overwrite. Remember that the ECM contains a lot of circuitry beyond just a computer, any of which can fail.

Last edited by tomtc; 08-03-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.