Gibson Turn Down Tips >

Gibson Turn Down Tips

Notices

Gibson Turn Down Tips

Old 04-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

http://store.airflo.com/exhaust-elbows.html

Can someone tell me why these would not work? I am just not spending $500 + for a 4" single wall pipe with 1 bend. I do not plan to use them often.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KachinaShadow
Not a real good idea to have ANYONE on the swim platform if you're backing up
I agree

Usually they are simply sitting on the sun pad with their feet on the swim platform.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
I had GGB make me a set a couple years ago as their mufflers were too loud. I was 94 db at idle and certainly would not pass the Wisconsin idle db limit (86 db )

I NEVER had ANY reversion issues and they sounded GREAT on plane as well as cut some of the interior resonance....

The only thing I didn't like was the lack of "dock presence"... sounded little better than a Sea Ray at idle, (82 db at idle) but I suppose I could've cut them a bit shorter to get more sound out of them......

Doug

Doug,

That is a very nice setup. Thnks for the picture and the information.

Mark
Old 04-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
I was determined to meet Minnesota's ultra strict 84dB limit at idle because just getting stopped by the fish police ruins my day on the water. I also wanted to keep from bubbling directly under the swim platform and keep soot off the transom, so I went with more of an angled design. GGB built these turn-downs to my spec. They're bolted onto HPI mufflers and have DMP internal flappers. The biggest hurdle was clearing the center turn-downs with the tie-bar in the trailer position. Imco fabbed custom saddle mounts to get the tie-bar farther back. I have not had this setup on the water, yet. But, here's how it all turned out.
VERY NICE

I sure wish I had known GGB was doing that when I bought mine a few years back. They are out of business now right?

The IMCO brackets are perfect. They look nice and solve the same problem I am faced with. I'll have to check into those.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by GLH
I had them on my 42' Cigarette and they made a ton of difference it did keep the swim platform area wet when at the dock but How long do you stay there idling anyway.

It made the boat legal also with law enforcement here compared to being WAY over the limit before.

Mine were not Gibson they were custom made by CMI since Gibson did not offer 5" turn downs.

Here is a vid from a run where you see the boat starting as well as a bunch of pictures. I have sold the boat to Japan but still have the turndowns, they will likely go on to the MTI if we can make them fit.
GLH

Thanks for taking time to post the pictures. I remember the CIG now that I see it again. I always admired it every time pictures were posted.

Good luck with the MTI that's an awesome ride.

Mark
Old 04-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
VERY NICE

I sure wish I had known GGB was doing that when I bought mine a few years back. They are out of business now right?

Thanks
Nope, I just had those made in January. GGB seems to focus more on motorsports, now. But, they will do it if you ask.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHawk

Can someone tell me why these would not work? I am just not spending $500 + for a 4" single wall pipe with 1 bend. I do not plan to use them often.

You can go with rubber hoses for temporary use.
Attached Thumbnails Gibson Turn Down Tips-donkey.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Registered

I ended up making myself a set, but you do need to fabricate some way of clamping it to the existing pipe. I think it cost me about $80 total, but took about 3 hours of my time.

I do not have any problems with water splashing on the swim platform, as mine is solid. The only downside is that for 80% of the time I'd LIKE them to be louder. My boat is very sedate looking but has a VERY mean sound at idle. Really grabs peoples attention, and usually in a good way, but for the odd time it piss's someone off, it's not worth it.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered

I just noticed these are aluminized, not stainless. They will rust and fall apart pretty quickly.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
GLH

Thanks for taking time to post the pictures. I remember the CIG now that I see it again. I always admired it every time pictures were posted.

Good luck with the MTI that's an awesome ride.

Mark
No problem Doc Thanks for the good words!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.