Notices

#6 Skegs

Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default #6 Skegs

My fabricator removed all of the paint and welded several leading edge shark bites from our lowers.
He has also taken out ripples and high spots making our starboard and port skegs symmetrical to each other..

But has highly polished the skegs.

Tom is our race car guy not a marine guy and has done a superb job in blue printing these skegs.

My question is in terms of speed ,what is the best finish.

It is my understanding that brushed is the way to go.

If so what do you guys use in terms of grit etc to attain the best brushed finish.
Thanks in advance!
Glen
Attached Thumbnails #6 Skegs-img_0065.jpg  
Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dam glen them babys sure look sweet.
I use 400 then 800 on the skeg only!! I could not tell the differance from high polished..The blue printing will!!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
Dam glen them babys sure look sweet.

I use 400 then 800 on the skeg only!! I could not tell the difference from high polished..The blue printing will!!
Awesome news lowers are ready!

That means all we have left to do is replace our starboard prop shaft seal ,pop on a pair of 1/4" spacers,take a peak at innercooler cores and rock on!
Rudy wants to see us comfortably in the 160s in less than a mile while still maintaining hard acceleration by tweaking before we add another 100hp per side if possible!
Its not easy with this hull.
Shes not a Skater that's for sure!

Thanks!
Glen
Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
Awesome news lowers are ready!

That means all we have left to do is replace our starboard prop shaft seal ,pop on a pair of 1/4" spacers,take a peak at innercooler cores and rock on!
Rudy wants to see us comfortably in the 160s in less than a mile while still maintaining hard acceleration by tweaking before we add another 100hp per side if possible!
Its not easy with this hull.
Shes not a Skater that's for sure!

Thanks!
Glen
Your hauling a*s dont make a difference which hull your doing it in.. Not sure if you know it but your drive takes three seals..One faces in to the oil and two face out with grease packed between 2&3. Make sure you dont have any grooves in your prop shaft,,if so get your drive guy to install a SS speedy sleve..