Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
calling all engine builders >

calling all engine builders

Notices

calling all engine builders

Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is oil pressure with a drill and priming tool but none with the distributer, then it is the distributer . It's unlikely that clearence between the base of the distributer and the block would lead to no oil pressure at all. For some reason the dist. seems to be too short.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 05-08-2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: I didn't realize the engine fired and ran
Old 05-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wobble - maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything on the tolerance or fit the distributor should have when it passes through the block (oil galley). Still wonder if it should fit tightly, or if there is some clearance by design that bleads off oil to lube the dist. gear. Even running the oil pump with the correct priming tool, alot of oil (and pressure?) is seems to be bled at that point.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your pan is bent or dented and you dont have at least 3/8 of an inch clearance when you start the engine it is sucking/starving for oil. I had this problem on a 460 ford once. The primer turns slow enough to replenish oil under the pick up but can't with the higher rpms after start up.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Registered

thanks for the help everyone, but yes the dist. goes all the way in and is flush with the block, also it feels like the shaft is going into the bottom of the dist. I will try and use that grease trick........ i put in a aftermarket procomp dist and still no pressure. the cam gear is good as well. im stumped..... if the relief valve is open in the oil pump is there anyway to fix that? thx again
Old 05-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Registered

Is the drill spinning clockwise when priming?

I would measure the distance from the oil pump drive shaft to the intake surface where the dist clamps and compare that to the distributor dimensions.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Ok so now we prime it with a drill and turn over the motor and the oil pressure goes down to zero, now what ?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:20 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil pickup might be too close to the pan, allowing pressure to build at low drill speeds but not at engine speeds.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you pull distributor out move 1 tooth either way will it still go back down all the way flush on intake
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you dont have a small block oil pump shaft in it.I put in a motor for a customer one time that he bought from some one and it had the wrong shaft in it
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Tell us about your roller cam conversion kit or pieces?
I have seen these type of conversions go wrong with the lifter center oil feed recessess dropping below or above the lifter bores in the block and dropping all the oil pressure because the lifters are not sealing in the bores top and bottom. Usually it comes from aftermarket cams with too small of base circles or from using the incorrect lifter with the cam or conversion kit. Just a thought here to add to the other points already brought up about distributor to oil pump shaft fitment and oil pump pickup incorrect height.
Also did you refit or weld the pickup tube on the pump cover with a full weld as I have seen this overheat the pump cover and freeze the oil pressure relief piston in its bore locked open, which will dump to much oil, however you're getting good oil pressure when priming the pump which does not indicate the relief valve being locked open.

Hope we can help find your Gremlin

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.