Pulled Spark Plug - Water came out >

Pulled Spark Plug - Water came out

Notices

Pulled Spark Plug - Water came out

Old 05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled Spark Plug - Water came out

I had an incident on the lake last weekend. Not quite sure of root cause at this point but the boat was overheating. I shut the boat down and got it home. I pulled all the plugs. 7 of 8 of them were perfect and dry. However, once I removed one of the plugs.....water poured out.

Can anyone help me with troubleshooting this? Logical steps to walk through?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Registered

When you say manifold, you are talking exhaust manifold? Same as a "riser"?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The riser is the piece bolted to the top of the manifold.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by customfab
I had an incident on the lake last weekend. Not quite sure of root cause at this point but the boat was overheating. I shut the boat down and got it home. I pulled all the plugs. 7 of 8 of them were perfect and dry. However, once I removed one of the plugs.....water poured out.

Can anyone help me with troubleshooting this? Logical steps to walk through?
it sound like you may have done a head gasket.

logical steps,

remove plugs,
do a compression test,
if that is inconclusive do a leak down test. that should identify gasket, piston or valve problems.

if those tests are good pressure test the exhaust and risers.

is this a closed cooling motor?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Registered

and it doesn't matter at all right this minute. what you have to do instantly is fill that cylinder w/ wd40 and get the valves oiled down or in the next VERY short period of time, the rings on that piston are going to rust to the piston , the bore will rust and the valve stems will rust to the guide... all of which will take a minor repair right now and turn it into a monster repair by the end of the week.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stevesxm
and it doesn't matter at all right this minute. what you have to do instantly is fill that cylinder w/ wd40 and get the valves oiled down or in the next VERY short period of time, the rings on that piston are going to rust to the piston , the bore will rust and the valve stems will rust to the guide... all of which will take a minor repair right now and turn it into a monster repair by the end of the week.

that is a fact
Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Registered

CRAP! I was afraid of that. Motor has been sitting for 14 days.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Registered

still better go do it. you might be the luckiest person in the galaxy... you never know.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:37 PM

I can personally verify that...I'm about 30 minutes away from having the chain hooked to my engine. I'll be replacing my rings...heads are in the machine shop right now. If all goes well, I'll have it back up & running by the weekend...& I do feel like I was very lucky.
BTW...Both CMI Headers tested perfect with air & water test.

Good Luck...
Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Registered

How long was it sitting? Well, I'm crossing my fingers as I can't get back to my boat until tomorrow. Maybe just maybe the existing oil with serve as a protectant. You guys have me freaked now!!! And I knew better....

Originally Posted by rangerrick63
I can personally verify that...I'm about 30 minutes away from having the chain hooked to my engine. I'll be replacing my rings...heads are in the machine shop right now. If all goes well, I'll have it back up & running by the weekend...& I do feel like I was very lucky.
BTW...Both CMI Headers tested perfect with air & water test.

Good Luck...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.