Kill switch wiring >

Kill switch wiring

Notices

Kill switch wiring

Old 05-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switch wiring

This maybe a simple wiring job, I have a stock thunderbolt igntion system on my 330hp 454. How do I wire the kill switch. The harness for the kill switch has two wires, where do they go. Thanks
Erik
Old 05-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Wire them to the purple wire coming from the ignition switch. You can cut the purple wire and hook the ends to the wires on the kill switch. It doesn't matter which purple goes to which wire on the switch. The switch is used to break the contact in the purple wire, which is the wire that powers up the ignition. You can find it in the 10 pin harness running from the dash to the engine compartment. If you cant find it then take it from the key switch and run a new wire to the kill switch and back. Hope this helps, Eddie.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Wire them to the purple wire coming from the ignition switch. You can cut the purple wire and hook the ends to the wires on the kill switch. It doesn't matter which purple goes to which wire on the switch. The switch is used to break the contact in the purple wire, which is the wire that powers up the ignition. You can find it in the 10 pin harness running from the dash to the engine compartment. If you cant find it then take it from the key switch and run a new wire to the kill switch and back. Hope this helps, Eddie.
Eddie thanks that makes sense. Iam going to look for the purple wire near the ignition switch since the kill switch is right next to the ignition switch.
Erik
Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Registered

So my kill switch has 3 wires in it not 2. They are black, green and white. Now which wires should be used to tie into the purple wire?
Erik
Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Registered

You must have a Merc style switch. One wire will be common. The other wires are for normally open and normally closed. The black should be the common. You want to wire it in the normally closed position. The other way is for outboards that use a ground to kill the ignition. You will have to test it with an ohm meter. I can not recall the exact wiring since it has been a while. Hook your leads from the ohm meter to the switch with the lanyard attached. Look for the two wires that have continuity. Then pull the lanyard off and make sure you lose that continuity. The other way will have continuity when the lanyard is off and lose it when the lanyard is attached. You want to be able to complete the circuit when the lanyard is attached. This will allow power to reach the ignition. I think you will need black and green, but I am not positive.
Eddie
Old 05-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Registered

You must have a Merc style switch. One wire will be common. The other wires are for normally open and normally closed. The black should be the common. You want to wire it in the normally closed position. The other way is for outboards that use a ground to kill the ignition. You will have to test it with an ohm meter. I can not recall the exact wiring since it has been a while. Hook your leads from the ohm meter to the switch with the lanyard attached. Look for the two wires that have continuity. Then pull the lanyard off and make sure you lose that continuity. The other way will have continuity when the lanyard is off and lose it when the lanyard is attached. You want to be able to complete the circuit when the lanyard is attached. This will allow power to reach the ignition. I think you will need black and green, but I am not positive.
Eddie

Once again Eddie to the rescue! I will check it tommorow. thanks for the advice!
Erik
Old 05-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Registered

My pleasure. Let me know if you have any more questions or if you can't figure it out. It may be easier to explain on the phone. Give me a call if you need to.
Eddie
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Registered

My pleasure. Let me know if you have any more questions or if you can't figure it out. It may be easier to explain on the phone. Give me a call if you need to.
Eddie
Thank you Eddie. I will try to mess with it tonight if I get time. I took the boat out today for the first run for this season and boy did it run great. Only issue was the hatch ram failed and I could open the hatch. I had to go remove the bolts from the back seat and was able to open manual.

Once again THANKS!
Erik
Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you still have trouble, I have the installation instructions for the two kill switches I installed last spring.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Holy Smokes
If you still have trouble, I have the installation instructions for the two kill switches I installed last spring.
Thanks man i'll let you know. I never had time to check it tonight.
Erik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.