Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine alignment... Best way to do it?? >

Engine alignment... Best way to do it??

Notices

Engine alignment... Best way to do it??

Old 05-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine alignment... Best way to do it??

I just reinstalled both engines in my Sonic. The motor mounts were never moved, but the transom assemblies were removed, resealed & reinstalled.... now the alignment is off. What is the best way to determine how to adjust the engines (which way to go)?? This is the third set of engines in the boat but the 1st time the alignment was off.
Adjusting this when there is no one to assist makes it difficult a best.
Ideas????
Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Probably the first time the transom assemblies where removed. Do you have offshore mounts?

It dosen't take much to throw it off. I have a tool I use first that goes into the coupler to see if its high or low going thru the gimble bearing. It drove me crazy trying to use an alignment tool because you can not see. As soon as I eye it, then I use the alignment tool.

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 05-23-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:23 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine may not need to be moved, alot of times, the ball in the center of the gimbal bearing is just slightly off. That will prevent you from getting proper alignment. Even gets worse if you have extension boxes.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Probably the first time the transom assemblies where removed. Do you have offshore mounts?

It dosen't take much to throw it off. I have a tool I use first that goes into the coupler to see if its high or low going thru the gimble bearing. It drove me crazy trying to use an alignment tool because you can not see. As soon as I eye it, then I use the alignment tool.
BIGJIM and I basically use the same method.
I use a 1" dowel. Went to Home Depot with calipers to ensure it is exactly 1". Insert dowel in coupler and adjust eng. until dowel is centered in gimbel bearing, almost like a gun sight. When this is accomplished use the align. tool to finish. Found this method to be the easiest.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Vinny P
The engine may not need to be moved, alot of times, the ball in the center of the gimbal bearing is just slightly off. That will prevent you from getting proper alignment. Even gets worse if you have extension boxes.
x2
Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered

Good idea on the dowel... I can use that. But what is this about the "ball" in the gimbal bearing being off slightly??? How to check that??? & fix??
Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blown formula
Good idea on the dowel... I can use that. But what is this about the "ball" in the gimbal bearing being off slightly??? How to check that??? & fix??
The check is using the alignment tool. If it doesnt go in all the way, try to mess around with the ball a bit. What I have done in the past, is pull the alignmemt tool out of the coupler, leave it in the gimbal bearing ball, then knock the outer end of the tool with my hand up , down or side ways until the tool slides all the way in, smoothly.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
The check is using the alignment tool. If it doesnt go in all the way, try to mess around with the ball a bit. What I have done in the past, is pull the alignmemt tool out of the coupler, leave it in the gimbal bearing ball, then knock the outer end of the tool with my hand up , down or side ways until the tool slides all the way in, smoothly.
What he said. Trusting that you do have a Merc Bravo One drive, here is the Bam Marine link for the alignment tool.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ages/COMMON/NO IMAGE&inbr=11210&bnbr=260&bdesc=Special+Tools%2DTr ansom
Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered

That link did not work for me.... but I do have an alignment tool.
Going to get a dowel rod today (I hope I can get one on a holiday).
Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Registered

Got a 1" dowel, it actually measured 1.004" but fits perfectly. Now I can actually see what needs to be moved & how. Great idea!! Thanks,
George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.