Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New carb. has condensation all over it?? >

New carb. has condensation all over it??

Notices

New carb. has condensation all over it??

Old 06-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New carb. has condensation all over it??

I just put a new carb. on my boat. It's basically a stock 330 horse engine with a 177 blower and CMI exhaust. I was originally running a Holley 800 spread bore and had no problems for 3 years. This year I've been expierementing with carbs. First I tried a 950HP. Now I'm trying a 4150 850 with Quick Fuel metering blocks. The carb has been boost referenced. Everything was going great, untill I slowed down to an idle and the engine was spitt'n and cough'n through the intake. I raised the hatch and saw dropplets all over the carb. Nothing else was wet, just the carb. I felt it and smelled the droplets. It was water and the carb.and the carb. was VERY COOL to the touch while everything else was hot in the engine bay. The outside temp was 82, water temp. was cool, maybe 60 and humidity was high, maybe 80%. The engine cleared up and after setting for awhile 3-4 hours I started it back up and went to take off, it was missing horribly. Felt like ignition miss on half the cylinders as it would not go over 1200rpm. Then it just went away and ran perfect.?? Any idea why I've got condensation on my carb? And could the rough running problem be related. I'm running premium pump gas.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like it iced up, our pulling tractors motors will ice up the hats but we run straight alcohol and it happens at idle.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, glad to see you over here...that only shows that the carb is working very effecently.....seen good setups do that and blower ones more than naturally asp. mine did it to when I ran the blower set-up...the water you are seeing probably not causing the issue...make sure that the floats are not sticking coming off plane and flooding....Rob
Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good call about the floats Rob. I set the floats on the trailer, and meant to reset them in the water but did not. I forgot to mention, my spark plugs look perfect. Just a little lighter than a cordboard box in color. I'm gonna get a cap and rotor and wires. I've never replaced them since I've owned the boat. They don't look bad, but it's time.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when it did it did you notice black smoke from exhaust ? have seen issues with the floats hanging as the boat comes off plane....angle of bowls as boat settles down...good luck..Rob