Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Oil Temp sensor....where? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/210637-oil-temp-sensor-where.html)

ezstriper 06-14-2009 09:23 PM

without starting a argument, if the oil has issue....break down from fuel, bearing going away etc, the oil under pressure is going to be the first place it shows, it has just been thru the rotating parts and not sitting in the pan...not that the temps may be slightly different there but if you see change that is the stop sign....Rob

onesickpantera 06-14-2009 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by GSELITE2000 (Post 2887242)
leaving the oil pump and the first stop is the filter, prior to the oil cooler. Therefore, I am going to assume that the temp at that point is pretty close to being directly from the oil pan.

I am looking for problem indicators as opposed to perfection.

Therefore, I have convinced myself that I will put it there.

I just had the engine replaced, I don't want to pull it just to have the oil pan modified for a temp sensor.

Thanx for all the replies. I guess I will see how this works.

Scott

You won't get an accurate reading there. However, you can get a baseline for "normal" temps.

I mounted mone in the same place.

minxguy 06-15-2009 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by onesickpantera (Post 2888203)
You won't get an accurate reading there. However, you can get a baseline for "normal" temps.

I mounted mone in the same place.

OSP, do you remember the thread pitch on the fitting coming out of the oil filter housing? I would like to add a temp sensor myself and I agree with you and Scott. Temp has to be pretty close to pan temp coming out of the filter so that's where it's going.

Ken

onesickpantera 06-17-2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by minxguy (Post 2888661)
OSP, do you remember the thread pitch on the fitting coming out of the oil filter housing? I would like to add a temp sensor myself and I agree with you and Scott. Temp has to be pretty close to pan temp coming out of the filter so that's where it's going.

Ken

No, I don't. I pulled the plug out of the filter housing and took it along with my sensor to a hydraulic shop that had tons of fittings and he hooked me up.

My temps there are much cooler than what is in the pan. But, like I said I now have a baseline and will know when something is wrong.

minxguy 06-17-2009 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by onesickpantera (Post 2890612)
No, I don't. I pulled the plug out of the filter housing and took it along with my sensor to a hydraulic shop that had tons of fittings and he hooked me up.

My temps there are much cooler than what is in the pan. But, like I said I now have a baseline and will know when something is wrong.

Thanks, and just what are you seeing for oil temps?

Ken

Rookie 06-17-2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by minxguy (Post 2888661)
OSP, do you remember the thread pitch on the fitting coming out of the oil filter housing?
Ken

3/8" NPT

And the best thing is to get a baseline during normal operations no matter where you put it. If it spikes uncharacteristically during your normal running then you will be able tell something is not right.

onesickpantera 06-17-2009 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by minxguy (Post 2890629)
Thanks, and just what are you seeing for oil temps?

Ken

On long WFO runs I will see about 160-170*.

stevesxm 06-17-2009 04:35 PM

not enough by a lot

rangerrick63 06-17-2009 04:50 PM

I just recently replaced all my Faria gauges with Autometer, which included an oil temp. I too went thru the same questions as to where the best location for the sending unit...other than the pan, which would involve removing the pan.
Oddly enough, I had the engine out for repair, & never even thought about having a bung installed in the pan until after I had reinstalled it :lolhit:...anyway.
Being that I switched to a mechanical oil pressure, I simply installed my oil temp in the same plug that the factory electric oil pressure was...which is right above the pan, in the block. Now, after getting the correct sender...my temp after a long run (40+ miles), went to 235. As soon as I came back down to idle, I raised the hatch, & checked the pan temp with a lazer thermometer...230. I feel that is pretty close, but after-all, it is electric, I'm sure mechanical would be much more accurate...
Good luck.

onesickpantera 06-17-2009 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by stevesxm (Post 2890724)
not enough by a lot

My sensor is mounted on my filter pod, not in the pan.