Motor won't start...??? >

Motor won't start...???

Notices

Motor won't start...???

Old 06-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Motor won't start...???

Alright here is the problem. When I turn the key to "on" I get power to all my gauges and everything is fine. When I turn the key to "start" the engine I get nothing...not a sound. I did however get the motor to start by jumping the slave relay for the starter located at the rear of the motor. So my question is what can I rule out as a potential problem by jumping it at the slave?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to see if you have 12 volts to your coil on your slave relay?If not see if you have 12 volts at your igniton.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered

If its not cranking at all with key then check your neutral start switch and wires to it. also check key switch by jumping red and yellow wires on back of it.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tms1155
If its not cranking at all with key then check your neutral start switch and wires to it. also check key switch by jumping red and yellow wires on back of it.
I don't have the neutral start switch hooked up. When I check the key switch do I just turn it on and jump across the red and yellow(w/red tracer) wires on the back with a wire or something conductive like I did with the slave relay?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Registered

Yes. that will tell you if key switch is bad. if it starts replace key switch. If you dont have neutral switch hooked up you need to connect the wires for it together.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered

That was it. Neutral switch was not connected but I had to connect the ends to make a complete circuit. Thanks guys!
Old 06-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered

Ok, now that you have that figured out go back and hook up the neutral switch and prevent yourself from getting hurt or worse yet hurting others! Dont mean to preach but know first hand how easy it is to put boat on top of dock by having shifter in forward and hitting key at half throttle. NOT FUN!!!!