What Pistons? >

What Pistons?

Notices

What Pistons?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
my calculation suggests that 9.5 static at 6.5 psi at 4500 rpm would be a dynamic 17.87 cr. which is going to require an eneromous amount of charge cooling to make the pistons live.

if i was going to run 6.5 for any length of time i would want to see 8 to 1 static and some significant hi end enrichment which , at a guess, i don't think is present here.

but thats just a guess based on his previous results.
What dynamic compression ratio does your calculation suggest with 9.5 and 5psi? Probably around 16:1 which is I guess what my two engines have survived 2 years very hard running on 93 octane and with hyper pistons You might want to double check your math or produce your formula and I will debug it for you.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

From the earlier posts.

Originally Posted by boatguy94
Dynoed at 760hp, fuel to air mixture i believe he said was 13:1? Bolts not studs, did not use new head bolts? 6.5 lbs boost, 871 bds, too much? 9 psi fuel pressure at idle 28* timing, mechanical pump, did not change, weak? use 93 octane, not enough?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Registered

I would look at how much ring end gap was measured during assembly If this engine is running 13:1 f/a at 6psi it would need a ton of end gap to servive. If nothing else it needs to be fattend up to probably 11:1 f/a. Just my opinion.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JE has a series of -20 cc dished pistons that they say will produce a 8.4-1 comp. ratio. You have to do the math on your engine to be sure. With 6.5 boost and no intercooler, that's the way to go. Your fuel mixture still needs to be richer or you will continue to melt pistons. Get it tuned by a guy who understands boats. Cars are set up leaner because they are rarely at full throttle or even half throttle and only for a few seconds when they are. Your boat seems like it was given a car tune.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look at KB blower specific (or someones) pistons, try to get into the 7.5 comp range, do a plug check correctly and make sure it's rick enough, run no more than 26 deg timing, and if good fuel a problem water/alcohol injection is going to be needed as well....that should get you in the right direction..Rob
Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
What dynamic compression ratio does your calculation suggest with 9.5 and 5psi? Probably around 16:1 which is I guess what my two engines have survived 2 years very hard running on 93 octane and with hyper pistons You might want to double check your math or produce your formula and I will debug it for you.
well... you are correct and i was being euphamistic. true dynamic compression ratio will always be less than static in a non blower motor due to the valve timing... which is why you always run more static with more agressive cams...

and looking at simply the dynamic compression ratio by that rigid definition in a blower configuration, the cr does increase by a degree more in line with your figures than mine...

and i should have been clearer but was writing more for the end conclusion. my number stems from an algorthym derived from a three dimensional nomogram that looks at dynamic cylinder pressures vs valve timing vs engine rpm and then gives me an answer in numbers that i find easy to understand and compare. this was created from emprical data gathered on the dyno over time using scientific grade instruments.

thats where my 17 + number comes from. in my world, and by my way of thinking for my decision making process for all the tuning parameters on the turbo motors i did, i would look at this motor in this configuration and think " i have to set the running parameters as if this thing has a 17 to 1 STATIC compression ratio... and in that way i could go to my look up chart and come up with fuel and ignition maps that would give me a place to start. i found it helpful to not melt the motors down and then start looking for the answers. not that that didn't occassionally happen. and i'm sure that your combination is just fine as you say. but when this guy publishes those numbers and implies that there aren't enough pistons currently in stock in the united states to keep him running for the next season , then i would suggest ( as i did) that he has a gross problem as opposed to some minor tuning issue and to me that sounds like ( obviously) nowhere near enough fuel and ( also obviously) dynamic combustion chamber cooling.

so the answer is to either reduce the thermal load ( less static compression) or decrease the boost or get enough fuel in there at a high enough octane to not melt the pistons.

you can say his combination is the same as yours as often as you want. but the bottom line is that his melts and yours doesn't... so his answer isn't yours.

and thank you for the kind offer but the bugs have worked themself out over time.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

No matter what you do with your engine. Before I would run the boat on the water I would have a wideband O2 gage installed.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
you can say his combination is the same as yours as often as you want. but the bottom line is that his melts and yours doesn't... so his answer isn't yours.
You know the whole thing about 9.5:1 comp with boost and running 93 octane.... Not trying to bash, but there are VERY few people and I mean VERY few people who can run this combo and not melt stuff to the ground everytime.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by niceguy
You know the whole thing about 9.5:1 comp with boost and running 93 octane.... Not trying to bash, but there are VERY few people and I mean VERY few people who can run this combo and not melt stuff to the ground everytime.
I don't think you can run 9.5 comp. and 6.5 boost without an intercooler and better gas, say a 50/50 mix of 93 and 110 racing gas. I think we're all being polite and trying to help and not to bash. That's the way it should be.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 06-18-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

The old set-up on my engines were 9:1 with 5 lbs of boost, no intercooler, and they lived but they were set up very fat, in the 11's. When we re-did them we brought the comp. ratio down to 8.3:1 and ran A/F ratio's in the low 12's.

I think 9:5 is high. It would be a good setup on low boost cause you could benefit in the low/mid range by having the extra compression and then the boost up high. The aluminum heads help a little also...

There's a reason Mercury goes with a very conservative 7.5:1 on their blower engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.