Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
twin O/D alignment >

twin O/D alignment

Notices

twin O/D alignment

Old 04-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what you are saying Bill, but when one drive is higher than the other. and the outer tie bar is a given length, when it is at an angle ( say 30 degress looking at the rear of the boat) the horizontal distance between the two drives is reduced ( by 15 % in the 30 degree case (cosine of 30)) that's potentially a forced toe in of 5 inches on a 36" center as an example. if the inner bar isn't there, no problem,

if it is...............?

btw, what props, mine are 25" quicksilvers and WOT is at about 4500-4600 when light. thinking of labbing them
Old 04-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I get what you're talking about. It shouldn't be a problem if you keep the drives together when trimming, and I can't really think of a reason anyone would trim them drastically different. I have seen it though. Seems like that would put a lot of strain on something. When I bought the boat, the steering was sloppy because the steering pins were getting stripped in the tops of the gimbal rings. That might be one of the weak links if the drives are trimmed seperately. I'd still want the safety of the 2 bars, though.

I'm running 23" Mirage Plus at around 4500 trimmed out pretty far. I have a pair of 25", but one is a Mirage Plus and the other is just a standard Mirage. Labbing is not an option for me because I have kids that love to swim off the back of the boat.