Leaking KE Valve Covers >

Leaking KE Valve Covers

Notices

Leaking KE Valve Covers

Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking KE Valve Covers

Anyone else here have the KE 2 pc. valve covers? Mine leak. I changed the gaskets on the covers where they fit into the flanges, and they still leak. I bought the valve covers in November of '06 directly from KE. Guy I spoke with at KE said they were the "new design" and wouldn't leak... HA!!!!

Any ideas on how to correct/fix the problem? I'm thinking of grinding some of the ridge off of the inside of the flanges (part that bolts to the heads) figuring that might allow the oil to drain down, instead of gathering on the ledge inside of the flange and leaking through the cover gasket.

Your thoughts and or suggestions??
Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If these were the made during the period where the VC rail was not machined correctly, there may not be a fix. I would call them in Palm Coast, FL and see what they suggest.

Keith Eickert Performance Products
11 Industry Drive
Palm Coast, FL 32137
(386) 446-0660 | Fax (386) 446-2006
Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine leak too. Bought sometime in '06 as well.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Registered

OK.... I called KE and spoke with a guy in the tech dept. Tech said to pull the covers and flanges, and send them to Fla. so they can be looked at.

Two problems with that... right now the boat is sitting in a slip at a local marina because I have my trailer torn apart and of course, needed somewhere to keep the boat. I probably won't have the trailer work done for about 2 weeks. Also, I have reservations near Alex Bay NY for the week during the Can-Am poker run. So, the time line sux. But I do appreciate that KE is willing to take a look see at the covers.

I'll report in after I get a chance to send the covers back to KE.

Thanks for the phone no. BenPerfected!!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to machine the flange so that the oil drains back down and doesn't collect. There was a guy on Boatfreaks that had the same problem, machined the lip and fixed it.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The rails were manufactored with incorrect tolerences for a period when KE did not have control over Quality ..... There are some of the defective rails in Circulation ...m
Attached Thumbnails Leaking KE Valve Covers-ke2.bmp   Leaking KE Valve Covers-ke.bmp   Leaking KE Valve Covers-ke3.bmp  

Leaking KE Valve Covers-ke4.bmp  
Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine leak too. I bought a " NEW and IMPROVED " set of rails from Hardin a while back. They were supposed to be the fix. They still leaked. My fix is a small wipe of silicone on the bottom half of the rails. You can still get the covers off without fighting the silicone, but its a pain in th @$$ to clean the silicone off the rails, when the covers are pulled. Kind of looses the appeal of having 2 piece covers that still need silicone to seal them. Anyway, they look good.