Hardin Marine Stainless water pump >

Hardin Marine Stainless water pump

Notices

Hardin Marine Stainless water pump

Old 09-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
i install at least 20 of these pumps a year on stock applications which includes the old style and the newer pumps for the 496 engines and have never had a pressure or performance issue.
x2
Old 06-09-2017, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Stainless Hardin pump is a great idea, and the replaceable wear plates are great, but beware that the bearings in these are cheap and prone to failure. Mine lasted only a few seasons, and then water poured in, the pulley wobbled and burned up my belt. My OEM pump bearings lasted 15 years and were still good. Machine shop told me the bearings are low quality, cheap bearings.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sulley
This Stainless Hardin pump is a great idea, and the replaceable wear plates are great, but beware that the bearings in these are cheap and prone to failure. Mine lasted only a few seasons, and then water poured in, the pulley wobbled and burned up my belt. My OEM pump bearings lasted 15 years and were still good. Machine shop told me the bearings are low quality, cheap bearings.

I had same problem. I replaced all bearings and seals and shafts. Hope I get more hours this season on these
Old 06-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Registered

Cost me $120 for rebuild kit, $120 in labor for machine shop labor, $65 for a new belt, labor to replace the pump, and many days of my valuable time. Could have just purchased a new pump and saved myself all the trouble.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

I have been running the Hardin stainless pump for 4 years. No issues so far. I did purchase the rebuild kit and have it sitting on the shelf "just in case" I need to do it, I won't have to wait for parts.

I will say that the grease that was in the sealed bearing was very little and junk. I removed all the Chinese grease and packed with high quality grease that I had in my garage. Maybe this is the cause of some of the failures?? Just wondering out loud here.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Fist year for the Hardin pump housing but I'm still using the Merc front
Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Fist year for the Hardin pump housing but I'm still using the Merc front
I have Merc snouts and one is on its way out I just noticed; rebuild kit on the way. These are easy to rebuild.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:06 PM
Registered

Default All Three sides to the perspective

Originally Posted by Sulley
In regards to bearings I think it only fair to share all sides of this story. While I wouldn't begin to say that we've never seen a failure nor that any customer didn't have the right tools or experience, I feel compelled to merely identify a statement here. First let me say it is absolutely possible to have a bearing failure on ANY GEN 7 pump because when Mercruiser engineered the snout they reduced its size. It would have been great to have more room to work with. ALL early pumps and even the new GEN 8 use larger bearings. We are limited to what the original engineers fit into the bracket by Mercury.

Here's the FACTS: Of all of the pumps we sell with a new pulley installed here, we just don't see failures and of the ones sold less pulley where the owner installs the pulley we've seen a few issues. The pumps we sell with a replacement pulley installed we have rarely ever seen a bearing failure. Of the ones we sell without a pulley we have seen bearing failures due to the installer/mechanic pressing the pulley on in a press and crushing the shaft, bearings, and snap ring out the back of the pump. We've seen customer who tried to beat the pulley on with wood and a dead blow hammer claiming it should have been fine. Keep in mind the pump compared to an OEM or original pumps had their pulleys installed correctly at Mercury.

We cannot control the installation environment of the pulley outside our facility . Luckily the failure rate is less than 0.2% of the units we sell as in not even a half of one percent.. YES we have a warranty and have been very generous to take care of even the most skeptical of situations. It's impossible to control every aspect of this situation. We pride ourselves in only using the very best parts even bearings, shafts, etc. Heck we could buy a cheap Chinese impeller and save $10 but we don't we put Original Mercruiser Factory impellers in every pump because they are the best and we've done endurance testing to prove it.

Now were some pulleys installed correctly and this produced a bearing failure? Let's just say yes as to not start a debate. Bottom line we build the best pumps in the industry by using the best parts. We feel bad if anyone ever had a failure and wished we could have alleviated it. We stand behind our product and we appreciate every one of you as customers. I just found it only fair to round out both sides of this debate from two perspectives.

Last edited by Hardin Marine; 06-21-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-22-2017, 04:56 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I want to ask Hardin about the Gen VII --- Impeller , oring and wear plate kit that CP / Harden sells --- the impeller in one kit ordered thru CP was not the OEM Merc impeller and the other kit was the OEM Bravo impeller. I saved the impeller from the kit that was not the OEM. When I run into you guys in person I would like to show you. No big deal on my part but Can you comment on this ? Thank you. I promise I know what I am doing and deal with many impellers daily from OEM Merc to Johnson brands / for Volvo, indmar and also deal with Jabsco to Sherwood brands as well.

To further add, I carry 25 of both style bravo impellers all the time - OEM ordered from Merc on my part. And YES I know your GEN VII pump / kit uses the older style Bravo Impeller and YES I know the reasons WHY as well you made it that way. One is easier to find and buy, and 2 it offers a better supported hub area.

Thanks for any replies about this, John.

Last edited by BUP; 06-22-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I want to ask Hardin about the Gen VII --- Impeller , oring and wear plate kit that CP / Harden sells --- the impeller in one kit ordered thru CP was not the OEM Merc impeller and the other kit was the OEM Bravo impeller. I saved the impeller from the kit that was not the OEM. When I run into you guys in person I would like to show you. No big deal on my part but Can you comment on this ? Thank you. I promise I know what I am doing and deal with many impellers daily from OEM Merc to Johnson brands / for Volvo, indmar and also deal with Jabsco to Sherwood brands as well.

To further add, I carry 25 of both style bravo impellers all the time - OEM ordered from Merc on my part. And YES I know your GEN VII pump / kit uses the older style Bravo Impeller and YES I know the reasons WHY as well you made it that way. One is easier to find and buy, and 2 it offers a better supported hub area.

Thanks for any replies about this, John.
I would love to see it or get to the bottom of it? As we ordered literally thousands of Merc impellers in 2016 alone. We also have done extensive testing with virtually every copy of their impeller out there. Nothing performs even close. Not the green ones, Blue ones, SIerra, GLM, Etc. I do wish there was an equivalent but there isn't.

I know of numerous people that sell a kit with Impeller, Wear Plate, O-rings but I can confidently tell you our GEN 7 pumps ALL have Merc Impellers. if you order 100 kits from us today randomly everyone will come with a Merc impeller I GUARANTEE IT!!

We do offer the cheap import rebuild kits from Sierra that are sold separately for other stand alone applications as those products aren't sold as ours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.