Hardin Marine Stainless water pump >

Hardin Marine Stainless water pump

Notices

Hardin Marine Stainless water pump

Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hardin Marine Stainless water pump

Anyone tried the Hardin Marine Stainless Water Pump? I just installed the Rebuild kit version and I had several problems. I called CP performance and they were very helpfull. They are going to exchange it for the early model mercuriser rebuild kit and the Hardin Marine Billit alluminum back plate. I use all 16 AN fittings for the water lines and I need 1" threads on the water pump. Here is what I experienced.
#1 Difficulty priming when first put in the water.
#2 Higher temperatures at both idle and at mid range.
#3 Lots and Lots of steam out of the exhaust.
Strange thing is at full throttle the temp went to normal. The temps were perfect with the old pump, I was just trying to improve the reliability. The intakes on the oudrive are clear, all hoses are tight, no water leaks. The new stainless piece looks like a very high quality pump. I just cant get enough water flow. Before I switch it over I just wanted to get a little input.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Anyone tried the Hardin Marine Stainless Water Pump? I just installed the Rebuild kit version and I had several problems. I called CP performance and they were very helpfull. They are going to exchange it for the early model mercuriser rebuild kit and the Hardin Marine Billit alluminum back plate. I use all 16 AN fittings for the water lines and I need 1" threads on the water pump. Here is what I experienced.
#1 Difficulty priming when first put in the water.
#2 Higher temperatures at both idle and at mid range.
#3 Lots and Lots of steam out of the exhaust.
Strange thing is at full throttle the temp went to normal. The temps were perfect with the old pump, I was just trying to improve the reliability. The intakes on the oudrive are clear, all hoses are tight, no water leaks. The new stainless piece looks like a very high quality pump. I just cant get enough water flow. Before I switch it over I just wanted to get a little input.
Jeff,

Your title hear depicts a pump? but I think you only bought a rear housing conversion correct? While we are very disappointed to hear your oddity in the performance of this pump housing conversion. I would like to cover some basics of this part. We have over 6oo hours of actual testing of our pump and housing conversions prior to the release. To further make comparison to the OEM Mercury part our technical spec's are identical to the factory part. As the matter of fact we even use original Mercury Impellers in our kits since we have tested a dozen different brands and the Mercury Impeller is still superior. We spent over 8 months in various stages of testing to insure the longevity and performance of our product. I fear that your issue may have been caused by a installation problem? o-ring pinched ? or even missing?. Of course I'm not there and don't know your boat situation but the only way for the pump to not perform would be caused by an air leak in one of your lines. If the suction side of the pump is compromised AT ALL by a air leak possibly by a fitting issue? These are just guesstimates on our part once again. You say the old pump worked fine how did you have your -16 line connected to your old plastic Mercury housing? We have the ability to test your pump but were never notified of you problem?. As for your full throttle temp well you could practically pull a sea pump off of an engine on a boat under speed there is so much water flow that the sea pump actually almost acts as the restriction or regulator of the water flow. I understand that you have the Mercury pump parts coming I am only sorry that we were not made aware of your problem in the event we may have helped you fix it.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hardin Marine
Jeff,

Your title hear depicts a pump? but I think you only bought a rear housing conversion correct? While we are very disappointed to hear your oddity in the performance of this pump housing conversion. I would like to cover some basics of this part. We have over 6oo hours of actual testing of our pump and housing conversions prior to the release. To further make comparison to the OEM Mercury part our technical spec's are identical to the factory part. As the matter of fact we even use original Mercury Impellers in our kits since we have tested a dozen different brands and the Mercury Impeller is still superior. We spent over 8 months in various stages of testing to insure the longevity and performance of our product. I fear that your issue may have been caused by a installation problem? o-ring pinched ? or even missing?. Of course I'm not there and don't know your boat situation but the only way for the pump to not perform would be caused by an air leak in one of your lines. If the suction side of the pump is compromised AT ALL by a air leak possibly by a fitting issue? These are just guesstimates on our part once again. You say the old pump worked fine how did you have your -16 line connected to your old plastic Mercury housing? We have the ability to test your pump but were never notified of you problem?. As for your full throttle temp well you could practically pull a sea pump off of an engine on a boat under speed there is so much water flow that the sea pump actually almost acts as the restriction or regulator of the water flow. I understand that you have the Mercury pump parts coming I am only sorry that we were not made aware of your problem in the event we may have helped you fix it.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I purchaced the rebuild kit and used it with my pump assembly. I have rebuilt several pumps in the past and is a very simple job. After having problems on the water. I put the boat back on the trailor, completly dissasembled the pump, checked every hose connection only to find nothing wrong. Your product looks like a work of art, very high quality, but I cannot get it to work. With the old pump I had 1 1/4" to 1" copper adaptors to connect to the pump and everything worked perfect. I am always trying to make improvements. I have removed the pump from the boat and again have found nothing wrong. I have not recieved the new parts yet. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Registered

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I purchaced the rebuild kit and used it with my pump assembly. I have rebuilt several pumps in the past and is a very simple job. After having problems on the water. I put the boat back on the trailor, completly dissasembled the pump, checked every hose connection only to find nothing wrong. Your product looks like a work of art, very high quality, but I cannot get it to work. With the old pump I had 1 1/4" to 1" copper adaptors to connect to the pump and everything worked perfect. I am always trying to make improvements. I have removed the pump from the boat and again have found nothing wrong. I have not recieved the new parts yet. Any input would be appreciated.
Jeff,
Please understand we do not question your mechanical ability we just don't know the issue because we are not there to observe. The only other instance we ran into when converting Mercury style sea pumps is the surface of the pump mounting flange having painted over spray from the factory where the housing mates to the snout and the o-ring seals, this must be clean. We take every single product claim to heart. After hearing of your troubles I once again had our tech's take two Mercury pumps and convert them for testing purposes yesterday. On our test engine yesterday we raised the 1-1/4" inlet hose up over the top of a 6' ladder and made repeated start and stop tests draining the inlet line. Our pump pulled water up a 6' tall incline and pushed 16GPM of water at an Idle of 900 rpm's repeatedly. I must admit we have never done any testing with a -16 line like you are using because of its 7/8 I.D and it being nearly 30% smaller than the factory specified 1-1/4 Mercury hose. I do know that you said it had been working for you prior. I'm sorry the part didn't work for you I only hope the new parts you have coming solve the issue
Best Regards
Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

I just compaired the two housings side by side. The hardin housing is more of a round shape where the Merc housing is more oblong shape. I do not know if this makes a difference I am just making a observation as to the difference in shape and size. Also the drain hole seems to be wearing a pattern on the impeller after only 1 hour of use. Before we jump to conclutions and blame the product I will post back when I install the new "Old style" housing with the Hardin back plate and let you know the results.

Last edited by jeffswav; 07-08-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Just did a test run today with the "Old Style" merc housing and the Hardin Marine Back plate. No steam, temps were normal, please go back to the drawing board. You waisted about 10 hours of my time with your lifetime water pump housing. In addition to ruining my 4th of July weekend.
Thanks You,
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Registered

Just did a test run today with the "Old Style" merc housing and the Hardin Marine Back plate. No steam, temps were normal, please go back to the drawing board. You waisted about 10 hours of my time with your lifetime water pump housing. In addition to ruining my 4th of July weekend.
Thanks You,
Jeff,
I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem this time around and get everything back together correctly. Since you are the only non-standard application that has ever experienced a problem and we are having such great customer feed back in all other applications but yours I think we will stay our path. Happy boating
Old 04-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Registered

ttt. The other post was band so I brought this one to the top for reference. I am not trying to bash Hardin or CP as I feel both are reputable companies. I wish for no one to begin any name calling or finger pointing. If there are any unresolved issues with the last thread that was banned they could be brought up here. If this thread has any post that are objectionable please delete as nessasary. Deleting the entire thread would not be in the best judgement of the forum.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Registered

I too have problems, I bought 2 housings one works and one dosnt. After many overheats and stopping to cool off went back to stock merc black housing on one engine, all better. Looks great but didnt work? Jim
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered

Oh wanted to add stock 502s.....JIM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.