importance of power steering cooler??? >

importance of power steering cooler???

Notices

importance of power steering cooler???

Old 10-13-2014, 06:23 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Steering for any app becomes a huge liability for any OEM. One - heat is the down fall just like auto transmissions in our vehicles in which if you maintain your fluid temps you get longevity and the correct pressure thru out the system plus a correctly working transmission. I think they say if you maintain your auto transmission fluid temps (ATF) at 175 F you can double the life of your transmission compared to 225 F constant running temps. Heck that's only 50 degrees difference (lower to double the life).

Anyways Like I said for the Marine apps - pwr steering to work correctly its all about pressures as merc and others list their pressures. If the fluid becomes too hot those pressures fade (lower) and if too hot valving and other parts could fail especially the steering actuator. Merc does not list the temps - they just want to maintain the temps to a certain temp and leave it there constantly so the pressures stay constant along with keeping the pwr steering fluid oxidation & condensation to zero if all possible. Really I know the jist of it and basically that's why for the cooler - heat reduction, maintain a constant fluid temp and to help maintain constant pressures within the steering system for keeping the fluid at a lower constant temp.

Last edited by BUP; 10-14-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading 5 pages, I'm glad I have a Hynautic system with no pumps lol
Old 10-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Would life just be so much easier, if we simply ran a steering cooler, like the hundreds of thousands of other boats out there? They are fukin 75 bucks. Issues breaking the cheaper ones, ok, spend a few more bucks and get a sen-dure cooler, they are built much better.

I dont really understand the " I like my steering fluid hot!" idea. Rubber seals are made to work and last, with XXX temperature range. sure, can a modern quality fluid withstand temperature better than a cheaper fluid, yes. But, I dont give a chit what my fluid likes. I want to know what my steering rams, pump seals, helm seals, steering lines, and other parts like.

Are they needed? I dont truly know. Without temp readings its just a guess. In the meantime, I'll just run one like latham recommends. I dont feel like playing engineer, smoking my pumps in a short time, degrading my hydraulic helm seals, hardening my steering lines to the helm, or risking any of that stuff, just to save the 75 bucks, or the minor rigging involved to install the cooler. Just my opinion, but I see no benefit to higher power steering fluid temperatures. I know i will feel better knowing I am providing my pump with cool fluid when I'm in a fun run or poker run and my steering pump is spinning like crazy when I am holding my engines wot for miles and miles.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Your ps oil is too cool and you`re gonna GO slower!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:33 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I'm not saying my setup without a cooler is good or bad. I do know it has worked fine.
I do have a MM reservoir and also a fairly large filter on my system that may helping dissipate some heat.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

and some motors run hotter than others including some have no t-stat some have 120 t-stat some have a 140 some have 160 and some have 170 degree t-stat. Also if you think about it, a bravo III outdrive causes more resistance running in & thru the water than an alpha single prop outdrive so the bravo III will have a higher fluid temp apples to apples comparison .

Also some engine compartments are cooler than some others and some vent heat well and some not as well. Also lake water temps in Maine are a lot cooler than dead Southern states especially in the hot summer months.. To find boats running the exact steering fluid temps across the board would be an average at best. Anyways the fluid has to maintain a certain temp and not run too hot so that the steering pressures maintain there specs. Thanks basically it for a the short list as to why for the cooler, like I said before.

Last edited by BUP; 10-15-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by murfman
500 degrees? 600 Degrees? Gasoline ignites at 495 degrees F with no spark or flame
Thanksgiving is around the corner...sounds like a fun way to cook a turkey! Seriously, with watercooled exhaust how would the temp get much beyond the thermostat temp? That dude is spewing BS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.