Fuel filter gel >

Fuel filter gel

Notices

Fuel filter gel

Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter gel

Just pulled off my fuel filter/ water seperator for regular change. About 10hrs on it. Found what looks like silicone, all clogged on intake holes of filter. It's clear like gel. The filter was installed 2 months ago right after new engine installed. It was a Wix brand #PCS5062 that comes with the fuel filter head from Eddie Marine. I always fill up at auto stations with 93. Mostly Citgo.

Anyone seen this??

Can't believe the engine still had fuel pressure. It was running fine. Glad I checked before my weekend trip.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Registered

As the old filter sits with the gel on top. The gel is evaporating/ shrinking. I'm thinkin it may be something with the fuel here??
Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like ethanol fuel mixing with water.......thought that stuff was darker colored thou. That gel getting into your engine will be a MUCH bigger problem!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The company I work at has a transportation dept. with fuel tanks. We had a bad batch of fuel that clogged our fuel pumps, real thick white goo. Service guy that came out said that the gasoline and ethanol had separated. Had to have 5k gal tanks cleaned and pumps taken apart and cleaned out. Lots of fuel filters in the vehicles as well.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seeing a big issue with that around here, don't know how many carbs I've gone thru and found a clear slimey gel, all from our government mandated alcohol blended B/S fuel !!!
seems to come from boats sitting for any lenth of time... Rob
Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use "Startron" . It will help.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
Use "Startron" . It will help.
Yes, there are additives out there that will counteract the ethanol in most gasoline these days. Ethanol is a solvent and will dislodge built up deposits in tanks resulting in the goo many are finding in the water/fuel seperators and carbs. Your marina or fuel station is also at risk with the byproduct ending up in your tank.

Dec 1, 09 is the date the EPA and Fed will make the decision on whether to implement E15 or not. That's 15% Ethanol instead of current 10%. Wait until next year when it gets real ugly.

Ethanol can also attack older polyester tanks causing them to delaminate and leak. Newer vinylester tanks are less prone. Aluminum tanks are prone to the Ethanol causing severe galvanic corrosion.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. I've thought about it and the boat sat for more than a couple weeks. I got some fuel at a marina last time out. Everytime I fill up at a marina I get bad fuel or water. Now the ethanol won't mix.

15% next. What to do? Anyone think adding drygas would help? Or does that cause more harm than good.

For $10 a filter I'll be sure to change everytime after the boat sits. Still worried about the carb though.