Life Expectancy  88 7.4 >

Life Expectancy 88 7.4

Notices

Life Expectancy 88 7.4

Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life Expectancy 88 7.4

I know there are many factors that would shorten or lengthen this . Looking at a freshwater 88 242 with 7.4 800 hours? Is this nearing the end? The boat claims to be well maintained and appears to be. Appreciate any input Thanks Gus
Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

It might last another 800hrs or it might last 8 hrs. Its a crap shoot with that many hours. Get a leak down test. Most likely it could use at least a top end refresh.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Registered

griff is , of course correct... but think about it from another perspective... everything in that motor is 20 years old.

20 years.

20 year old seals, 20 year old slime, 20 year old condensation, 20 year old head gaskets and sealing surfaces... the bores that have been rusted and the run and cleaned and rusted again.... 20 year old drives....

it may be a wonderful boat and the guy may have done an absolutely brilliant job keeping it up... but when considering what to pay i think you would have to assume that the instant you got it home and put it in your driveway that you would then have to replace and rebuild everything.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I figured this . Will have to give 10,000.
Is it worth that, considering it may need a rebuild? Gus
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It depends on the shape of the boat. My boat is a 94 and it looks like brand new inside and out. I keep mine in dry storage year round and the boat only see's daylight when on the water. If it is in that kind of condition then you could afford to spend the money on the motor and drive. If it is oxidized, scratched up and interior needs repair I would say no.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Registered

Thanks Jeff Boat is pristine been in dry storage Arranged inspection with lakeshore marina in chattanooga to inspect. At my cost but pay little now or big later. Appreciate your time Jeff. Let U know if I purchase on Sat Gus
Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

So you bought the boat. Happy boating you still have half the summer left. You just sent me a PM, I think you may have wanted to update your post. You were asking about a stereo for your boat. My business is Home Theater and Custom Audio. If you were in he St Louis area I could set you up. I do a few boats a year but its not were I make my money. I have a mini-disc player with two amps two 10" subs, and 4 speakers in the cocpit. A storage capacitor really helps with the bass notes. Be sure you have 2 batteries with a switch, when you stop and party put it on 1 or 2 but not both. Then you have a reserve to start the boat.