Carb spacers >

Carb spacers

Notices

Carb spacers

Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,476 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlane40
I gained 25hp Dyno HP but using a HVH 1" one.800 hp 632.
So they work.

Are all the HVH the same? Is it like the super sucker i have shown in the pic above?

thanks,
John
Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by the engine and dyno guy that the open type is better.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Or just as good as the reason it increases HP is because it increases plenum volume and alters the carb signal.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered

like everything , this item is combination specific. for the guy that got 25 hp, i would suggest that that meant his intake combination was seriously wrong to start with. all you can do with this stuff is go to the dyno and make a few dozen tests ( should have been done at build time) or, failing that, go to the lake and run a million back to back tests to find out what your combination wants as far as the element you are testing is.
one mans 25 hp gain with the same bolt on component on someone elses motor will be a 25 hp loss. buy one and try it and try all permutations of it... taller, shorter and be prepared to rejet when you find a direction that the combination wants to go.

there are no magic hp parts except in the catalogs of the people selling them.

there is no one size fits all answer.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well Steve.My motor is match sorted by a professional not a back yard build.Merlinx intake the best there is.So my way of thinking is if you are chasing serious HP and you are using the best parts available,real HP, single plane intake the super sucker will work.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have found on the dyno, and not chasing a number, that the 4 hole 1" spacer increased the hp&torque, but it lowered the peak hp rpm along with increasing torque & hp. This was a back to back test. The carb is getting a better signal, thats why fuel had to pulled out. That is very truely stated; adding volume if it's not there to begin with, that wasn't my issue. 548 CID, Pro-filer heads, 4150 dart intake, BG 1025 cfm RS carb.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So just to confirm in general terms the open spacer is better for dual plane manifolds & 4 hole spacer is better for single planes?

To vear off topic a little, I have the perfomer manifold & was considering installing a open spacer to hopefully gain some extra RPMs. My stock ignition only spins up to 4750 so I think I have the best manifold for the lower RPMs. Anybody know @ what RPM the Performer RPM would begin outperform the Performer?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastlane40
Well Steve.My motor is match sorted by a professional not a back yard build.Merlinx intake the best there is.So my way of thinking is if you are chasing serious HP and you are using the best parts available,real HP, single plane intake the super sucker will work.
not suggesting otherwise... but think about it ( assuming i understand you correctly) your guy did the absolute best he could do with the best materials and parts that he could find and combined them to the best of his ability. that motor made x power. then, sometime later , with no other changes, you bolt on a carb spacer and make another 25 hp... not an insignificant number. where do you think that power came from ? it came from a massive increase in total flow and a massive increase in inlet tract efficiency. the conclusion has to be that the original inlet tract from the base of the carb to the valve seat was " wrong" to start with and that the addition of the spacer brought that combination much closer to correct. and that is a huge piece of knowledge for you because you have concrete evidence of what direction the inlet tract wants to go.
i think instead of buying into the " magic carb spacer" idea, i might try to figure out what was really happening inside the manifold that was so different and once i knew that actually do a manifold that did that without the carb spacer... THEN bolt the spacer on and see what happens.

the carb spacer is not nitrous oxide. it doesn't possess any energy of its own. what it did was influence something else in ( your case specifically) a very positive way.

i would really want to know why.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Itsallgood995
So just to confirm in general terms the open spacer is better for dual plane manifolds & 4 hole spacer is better for single planes?

Anybody know @ what RPM the Performer RPM would begin outperform the Performer?
Edelbrock says the RPM will go to 6500 rpm but the Performer is good for 6000.

That having been said, with the higher inlet tract profile, slightly wider but most importantly smoother runners and easier breathing (haven't even mentioned colder / denser charge if it's an RPM Air Gap!) then you should be able to see an increase in HP. Whether your ignition can physically power you to the rpm range you need is seperate.

If you're just running out of power and can't get past 4750, the RPM manifold might help, but herein lies a PERFECT opportunity to test the carb spacer! The RPM Manifold is about 2" taller overall than the Performer, if you just put a 1 or 2" OPEN spacer on your Performer and it nets you a gain in RPM, you'll know for certain that the RPM Manifold with it's profile will gain RPM by adding power at revs or just increase power acros the range you have now. My bet? You'll go up a bit.

If you wan't, by the RPM straight up. I run one (now), but it would be interesting to test an open spacer on there first!

Good Luck.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In dyno test I've seen the open spacer on a single plane intake picks up the midrange with out sacrificing much on the top, so they tent to work great on boats that never see the top RPM range of most all single plane intakes...Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.