Running with out T-stats?? >

Running with out T-stats??

Notices

Running with out T-stats??

Old 08-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MOP
Anyone not running one pull your oil fill cap and tell me your valve covers are not showing moisture build up, another thing I have seen is the valve springs rust. Once rust starts on a valve spring it will break in short order.
You got me curious, so I'm gonna check next time I take it out. But it runs at solid 140+ without so I guess I'll see what happens.

I'll retract my previous replies if I see moisture. Please disregard until I check.

Last edited by tackledackle; 08-02-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said that you pulled the block drains out and nothing came out????

You are probably building temp because you have some sand clogged in the engine block somewhere.

Be careful, becuase if wterflow is restricted, it will cause the back part of the engine to overheat and you will stick some valves and kiss a piston. Then you'll have a bigger problem than you have now.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

As long as were on the subject I have a question as well. I recall reading some threads a while back regarding the issues of thermostats with cross over kits. I realize there are pros and cons running the cross over kits without the engine circulating pump. Question is what do you do about the t-stat. I have heard some say just punch out the inner and others say drill 2 or 3 - 1/8" holes in the t-stat. I have actually read to take it out all together. Any latest good info on this.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOP
Running without Tstats is not good, no matter what any one tells you. Temperature is needed to bring the engine tolerances up to spec, also without Tstats you will not burn off the moisture. On the Donzi site there are a few posts with pictures of the Goo that builds up and pictures of glazed cylinder walls from cold stuck rings. A 160 is the minimum stat for a boat engine, I am F/W cooled and run a 180. Anyone not running one pull your oil fill cap and tell me your valve covers are not showing moisture build up, another thing I have seen is the valve springs rust. Once rust starts on a valve spring it will break in short order. Even the guys on the Donzi site with blower motors are running Tstats!
I have no signs of moisture in my mill. 2 years with no tstat.

No tstat in the mill before for 3 years and at tear down no rust.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by getrdunn
As long as were on the subject I have a question as well. I recall reading some threads a while back regarding the issues of thermostats with cross over kits. I realize there are pros and cons running the cross over kits without the engine circulating pump. Question is what do you do about the t-stat. I have heard some say just punch out the inner and others say drill 2 or 3 - 1/8" holes in the t-stat. I have actually read to take it out all together. Any latest good info on this.

Thanks,
John
You need a by pass line going from the crossover to the other side of the T stat to allow for water flow to the exhaust to keep it from overheating.

My prefered method is to not run a T stat at all, and to add an oil T stat to control the oil temp.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
You need a by pass line going from the crossover to the other side of the T stat to allow for water flow to the exhaust to keep it from overheating.

My prefered method is to not run a T stat at all, and to add an oil T stat to control the oil temp.
thanks jeff,
that is exactly what i have planned to do however wanted a little insight on the subject before plumbing.
thanks again,
john
Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Registered

does anyone have a good picture from the front showing the proper hose plumbing regarding the post above. i have gils.
i'll be plumbing soon.
thanks,
john
Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
I have no signs of moisture in my mill. 2 years with no tstat.

No tstat in the mill before for 3 years and at tear down no rust.
Electric motors don't need T stats, just fresh batteries.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
You said that you pulled the block drains out and nothing came out????

You are probably building temp because you have some sand clogged in the engine block somewhere.

Be careful, becuase if wterflow is restricted, it will cause the back part of the engine to overheat and you will stick some valves and kiss a piston. Then you'll have a bigger problem than you have now.
I got water out only and no sand. I meant/should have said no sand came out
Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Biggus I used all your tools then did not want to bring them back so I tossed them all into the water. Get a scuba tank and swim around Jimmies docks you may find some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.