HELP with throttle/shift cables >

HELP with throttle/shift cables

Notices

HELP with throttle/shift cables

Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts
Default HELP with throttle/shift cables

i am changing my original merc throttle set up with KK twin engine controls. i measured what length cables i need and came up with 16',17',18' and 19'. i also changed my merc trannies to BW's.

is the 3300 series cable compatable with the KK controls as well as the BW trannies? if so what should i expect to pay for a cable each?

thanks,
john
Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You will need 33c cables. They will work on both the controls and the trans and carb. However, your lengths sound a little off to me. On twin engine boats, I usually end up with the throttle and shift cable for the port engine 4 feet longer than the throttle and shift cables on the starboard. For example, if the throttle cable for the starboard engine is 16', then the port engine throttle cable will be 20'. That is the general rule of thumb. It depends on the type of boat and how the cables are run. Just a heads up. You may want to double check your measurements. I pretty much only use Ultraflex cables. They are a little more but well worth it. They are all SS, so they won't rust. They can also be bent into a very tight circle...about 4" diameter. Expect to pay about $50-$55 on the average for an Ultraflex. I can get the cables for you if you would like. Hope this helps, Eddie.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You will need 33c cables. They will work on both the controls and the trans and carb. However, your lengths sound a little off to me. On twin engine boats, I usually end up with the throttle and shift cable for the port engine 4 feet longer than the throttle and shift cables on the starboard. For example, if the throttle cable for the starboard engine is 16', then the port engine throttle cable will be 20'. That is the general rule of thumb. It depends on the type of boat and how the cables are run. Just a heads up. You may want to double check your measurements. I pretty much only use Ultraflex cables. They are a little more but well worth it. They are all SS, so they won't rust. They can also be bent into a very tight circle...about 4" diameter. Expect to pay about $50-$55 on the average for an Ultraflex. I can get the cables for you if you would like. Hope this helps, Eddie.

thanks for your help. i measured the two throttle cables on the boat now and got 17' and 19'. i don't have shift cables currently because of the old style elec. merc. trans. i thought it made sense to go a foot shorter on the shift cable. another words i thought i would end up with a 16 and 17 on the stb. side and a 18 and 19 on the port side. seemed strange the only difference btwn. the throttle cables was 2 ft when the engines are on 33' centers.

sounds like the shift and throttle should be the same?

in that case i think i would need two 17's and two 20's.

let me know if you think that would be correct and i will order them.

thanks,
john