What size oil lines

Notices

What size oil lines

Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
there is absolutely nothing technically correct about this information unless the information is coming from the batman and robin comic book version of the fluid dynamics handbook.

a melling oil pump, typical to a big block chevy will max out i.e to say will NOT exceed 6 gal per minute before it cavitates. so thats the number.... 6 gals per minute.

a 5/16 line will move 30 wt oil roughly 5 times that number.

a 3/8 line will move roughly 10 times that number

the presure never changes because the relief valve sees to that. if it didn't the system would hydrolock and the filter would explode.

the factory, and i'm talking about guys with real degrees who actually know what they are doing and aren't talking out their ass use 3/8 lines and they are correct.

the people that are suggesting that -12 lines are an improvement in any sense what so ever under any circumstances don't know their asses from a hole in the ground and it would be really nice if you stopped promoting this voodoo like it was meaningful.
i run 1/8" and mine work fine
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, don't measure the hose size, measure the size of the fittings and elbows etc. The square inches are less than half the size of the hose. That being said, -10 is large enough for typical wet sump engine with a high volume oil pump. Larger just costs more. If I were building a 1000hp dry sump engine, I would use -12.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agree

Originally Posted by stevesxm
there is absolutely nothing technically correct about this information unless the information is coming from the batman and robin comic book version of the fluid dynamics handbook.

a melling oil pump, typical to a big block chevy will max out i.e to say will NOT exceed 6 gal per minute before it cavitates. so thats the number.... 6 gals per minute.

a 5/16 line will move 30 wt oil roughly 5 times that number.

a 3/8 line will move roughly 10 times that number

the presure never changes because the relief valve sees to that. if it didn't the system would hydrolock and the filter would explode.

the factory, and i'm talking about guys with real degrees who actually know what they are doing and aren't talking out their ass use 3/8 lines and they are correct.

the people that are suggesting that -12 lines are an improvement in any sense what so ever under any circumstances don't know their asses from a hole in the ground and it would be really nice if you stopped promoting this voodoo like it was meaningful.
Have to agree. Your pump will only move so much oil, look at the output hole in the pump. I run -10 on oil just because that was the size all my block fittings were. Never saw any pressure or temp differance after replumbing from stock 1/2" Mercury stuff.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Pop the hood on any NASCAR or regulated racecar circuit. I don't recall seeing any restrictive fittings on them. AN stands for Army, Navy the military uses that as a standard. Sure 10AN would work fine also. But the cost was very little more to jump from 10 to 12. But that rubber hose with restrictive fittings does't flow well at all. Anytime you add 100 or more HP the stock setup does not flow enough oil. I am not a engine builder, I just know from working on my own boat, and researching what others have done. Havent we already when through all of this in another post. I feel like we are beating a dead horse.