Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
closed cooled ? >

closed cooled ?

Notices

closed cooled ?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I don't have closed cooling. That should not matter. Problem with transom pick ups is when the boat leaves the water as it does when it is slightly choppy, you introduce air into the system which is bad.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
No I don't have closed cooling. That should not matter. Problem with transom pick ups is when the boat leaves the water as it does when it is slightly choppy, you introduce air into the system which is bad.
the reason I ask about the closed cooled on your boat is that you can get by with alot less water pressure
Old 08-29-2009, 04:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
heres my problem when im running 1,2 footers I over heat, the motors take turns my transom mount adjustable pickups cool the motors going to large sea strainer, imco drive pickup go,s to inner cooler. when this happens I have to stop shut down start right back up it cools right down I have496 base engines with wipples 810 hp 7lb boost this happends at all speeds Does the sea pump need some back pressure ,when I lower my scoops water pressure gets way over 30 psi MY scoops are 2 ichs above pad on the angle of the keel and carved to direct water this problem does not happened in flat water it seams like the gulp of air gets traped in heat exchanger .I have been chasing this issue sinse I installed cmi,s
What coolant and oil temperatures do you see when you over heat?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
What coolant and oil temperatures do you see when you over heat?
coolent temp gets to 160 oils still low wipple has ecu pulling timeing and fuel at 160 coolent temp. I run 120 themastats normal temps are 138 -142
Old 08-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My coolant temp runs between 140 - 150 deg, and my oil temp runs between 165-185 deg. I run all my water thru my outdrive. Water psi is 40-43 at wot. Top speed is 93mph.

Chris

P.S. I have modified the nosecone of my IMCO lower in order to pick up more water.
Attached Thumbnails closed cooled ?-newcamera-118.jpg  

Last edited by CB-BLR; 08-29-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
coolent temp gets to 160 oils still low wipple has ecu pulling timeing and fuel at 160 coolent temp. I run 120 themastats normal temps are 138 -142
So on smooth water your coolant temperature is 138 -142 at WOT and in "1-2 foot chop" it is 160F at WOT? Is that correct?

What is the oil temperature number at WOT?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
So on smooth water your coolant temperature is 138 -142 at WOT and in "1-2 foot chop" it is 160F at WOT? Is that correct?

What is the oil temperature number at WOT?
it takes a few miles ,and it switchs motors and It dont even have to be at full throtle I think its where my pickups are located combined with no resricters in the headers I like the way that imco was altered SO, CB-BLR how do you get water to your innercooler?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Chris
Gold Member

I tee off the main water line.. just after the raw water pump. This is where Dustin Whipple told me to do it. He told me that this should work, and had me modify the nose on my drive also in order to get more water flow when trimmed up.

He said that if this didn't work on my particular boat, that I should put a transom pickup with a seperate water strainer for the innercooler, and just run the water for the motor thru the outdrive.

Chris
Old 08-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
I tee off the main water line.. just after the raw water pump. This is where Dustin Whipple told me to do it. He told me that this should work, and had me modify the nose on my drive also in order to get more water flow when trimmed up.

He said that if this didn't work on my particular boat, that I should put a transom pickup with a seperate water strainer for the innercooler, and just run the water for the motor thru the outdrive.
Chris
what motor did you start with ,and is it a single or twin ,and what exhaust? and do you have resticters in the exiting waterflow?

Last edited by crayolacrazy; 08-30-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Single engine.. Merc 600sci .. Whipple Stage II upgrade .. 735 horsepower.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.