Help with Carb Adjustment

Notices

Help with Carb Adjustment

Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by noles5309
I ran it last weekend and after getting to the beach the choke was all the way closed. How do I fix this? I also noticed what looked to be some water droplets inside the carb. I have already replaced several fuel/water seperators and pumped the fuel tank empty. Any ideas?
Again what style carberator??Q jet or webber,if you dont know letus know what year and make and model your engine is..water can be coming from anywhere,,if your engine is running to cold it couls be getting condonsation under the valve covers and sucking it in through the breathers..you may want to check your oil too,you could have a internal water leak in the engine and that could be sucked through the breathers in to the carb..

A webber carb has a electric choke and the power wire may have came off thats why its stuck closed but it should be idleing chitty...a q jet has a mechanical choke that works off of he reastat from the port that heats the intake..that could be bad or the choke lever couls have came off..

Last edited by FIXX; 09-08-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I ran it last weekend and after getting to the beach the choke was all the way closed. How do I fix this? I also noticed what looked to be some water droplets inside the carb. I have already replaced several fuel/water seperators and pumped the fuel tank empty. Any ideas?
Just use wire or a zip tie to hold it open. Boats really don't need chokes anyway. Most people are not boating when its cold out.

My Merc Weber carb used reastat also.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about buying a new carb. Any recomendations? The motor is a 1996 454 Mag.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

I am thinking about buying a new carb. Any recomendations? The motor is a 1996 454 Mag.
What state yo live in?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

You do not need a new carb. You just need to fix the choke. You won't see any noticeable performance gains with a new carb.

Does your carb use an electric choke or a spring reastat??? a new electric choke kit is available from merc for about $90.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...OR+%28WEBER%29
Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Registered

I live in Indiana.

When I was out last weekend the choke seemed to be working correctly. It was open when I got to the beach, but after sitting all day it was still hard to start.

I am trying to figure out what kind it is. It has a W stamped on the top so I would assume that it is a Weber, but the only numbers I see on the carb is 8867. I cant seem to find any info if these are the right numbers. It does look like the carb in Griff's link.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Tie wrap the choke open and run it.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

I live in Indiana.

When I was out last weekend the choke seemed to be working correctly. It was open when I got to the beach, but after sitting all day it was still hard to start.

I am trying to figure out what kind it is. It has a W stamped on the top so I would assume that it is a Weber, but the only numbers I see on the carb is 8867. I cant seem to find any info if these are the right numbers. It does look like the carb in Griff's link.
That is a Weber Carb in the link.

I would bet that the choke closed while you were on the beach. Just for the heck of it, use a zip tie or wire and hold it open for a day. It may be just a little harder to start cold, but see if it starts easily when its already been running and warmed up.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Registered

I zip tied the choke open. After stopping for a few minutes it was hard to start again. Any other ideas?