merc 525 parts >

merc 525 parts

Notices

merc 525 parts

Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default merc 525 parts

hello all i'm new to this site and have not stopped reading since i found it alot off good info. i am going to be ordering a new nordic 28 heat with a merc 525 that i will be adding a whipple charger down the road and i am trying to find out what parts are in these 525's. does anybody know what pistons are in the newer 525 are they still the hi silicone srp's or are they something different, also what are the cam specs and what rods and crank do they have? can i just put the whipple on or do i need to do interal mods and does the computer need to be programed after the install
Old 09-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by sport
hello all i'm new to this site and have not stopped reading since i found it alot off good info. i am going to be ordering a new nordic 28 heat with a merc 525 that i will be adding a whipple charger down the road and i am trying to find out what parts are in these 525's. does anybody know what pistons are in the newer 525 are they still the hi silicone srp's or are they something different, also what are the cam specs and what rods and crank do they have? can i just put the whipple on or do i need to do interal mods and does the computer need to be programed after the install
the pistons are made by j&E, the rods are k1 h beam rods which is owned by manley or corrillo i for get and the camshaft is made by crane somewhere in the 615 range,the cylinder heads are casted at edlbrock and i believe they are a big round port intake. the crank is a forged gm crankshaft..as for programming talk to young performance http://www.youngperformancemarine.com/ eddie knows his chit

Last edited by FIXX; 09-07-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Registered

do know if they are the hi silicone je srp brand pistons or are they je brand
Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixx

Originally Posted by sport
do know if they are the hi silicone je srp brand pistons or are they je brand
i havnt had any 525's apart yet but all the other merc hp stuff i have been through has a special piston made by J&e to merc specs..

Srp is made by J&E so im sure the same quality of high silicone goes in their piston as well..ihave 600sc in my boat and their is j&e blower pistons in the engines..

call j&e or down load the spec sheet..

http://www.jepistons.com/cat/je/auto...flat_top.shtml
Old 10-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered

I think by high silicone he mean hypereutectic. I thought those were only in the 496s and other non hp applications.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered

got some info from mercury racing today.....kellogg crank, manley h beam rod, manley forged pistons, hyd. roller cam specs. .610in .632ex lift with 236 and 244 dur. @.050, with severe duty stainless steel intake valves and inconel exhaust valves.... so it sounds like a good candidate for a whipple blower kit to me
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The 525 is a great candidate for the Whipple. Just be prepared because it is a fairly expensive proposition. Anyone that knows me knows that I love Whipples. The problem with the 525 is the programming. With the Whipple kit we have to change the ecm to the Mefi 4. In addition to buying a computer, harness and injectors, you also need to add a distributor, coil and plug wires, since the 525 has a DIS (distributorless ignition system) You also need a fuel pump and regulator. The above items are all part of the kit. However, this all adds to the price of the kit. The complete polished kit retails for about $12,500. I can certainly make a better deal for you then that.
The 525's, set up at 7 psi, will make 775 hp at 5600 and about 800 at 5800 rpm. Of all of the Merc engines ever made, the 525 is probably the best candidate for a supercharger. It has the best parts of all of them. The Whipple kit is the only one that I would ever use on a 525. For that matter, Whipples account for about 75% of the sc engines that I build. Pretty much all of the engines that I build with Prochargers and roots blowers are existing engines that already have them. I have done quite a few of both, but I have done a ton of Whipples and they are simply awesome.
Give me a shout if I can help you in any way.
Eddie
Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

thanks for the reply eddie i had an idea on the cost but i think it would be a good reliable upgrade. i will be giving you a call when i get ready. do you have any experience with the newer 28 nordic's that have over 750hp as far as speed goes

Last edited by sport; 10-13-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I have done a few Nordic Heats. The most recent got one of my 925 efi's, which was actually 1028 hp. It took some set up work with the drive(it needed a spacer) and some prop testing but the boat ran 103 mph.
Here is a link to the thread about the boat.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...rdic-heat.html

Here is the dyno video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDe1_...ayer_embedded#

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Eddie.

Last edited by Young Performance; 10-13-2009 at 09:34 PM.