Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone with twins heard of swapping them in winter? >

Anyone with twins heard of swapping them in winter?

Notices

Anyone with twins heard of swapping them in winter?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone with twins heard of swapping them in winter?

Had a guy who builds performance boats locally tell me he swaps drives on twin motor boats every winter to make hrm last longer. Since they both spin different directions it makes the internal gears work in the opposite direction. I was told he does this because the driver that spins counter clockwise will always wear faster. Anyone else ever heard of this?or practice this? Yes I do know u must also switch the props
Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
Had a guy who builds performance boats locally tell me he swaps drives on twin motor boats every winter to make hrm last longer. Since they both spin different directions it makes the internal gears work in the opposite direction. I was told he does this because the driver that spins counter clockwise will always wear faster. Anyone else ever heard of this?or practice this? Yes I do know u must also switch the props
yes ive heard of this, if you think about it how often do you run your boat in reverse at full throttle,so swaping the drives would basicly be like running your drives in reverse which puts the load on the reverse gears and clutches but going forward which in sence would make your drives last longer..
Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Personally I can see good and bad. I would imagine there will be some gear experts here that will see this and hopefully have a good answer for you.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

opinions vary on this issue i'm a marine mechanic and I say it wont hurt anything and its not a bad practice, but some people say keep port port and stbd stbd
Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is how the drives were set up. I know when I set them up, I take into consideration their rotation. If resetting used upper gears, I will set up the better gears for that drives forward rotation. Also, I may set up the forward gear lash a bit tighter than reverse. Just my way, may not be the industry standard.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Mr. Gadgets, Dick Tryce, the guru of outdrives recommended that I do this.