Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
water temp. sender - location???? >

water temp. sender - location????

Notices

water temp. sender - location????

Old 09-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,481 Likes on 802 Posts
Default water temp. sender - location????

hello and thanks for taking the time to help me out. i was wondering where the best location for the water temp sender would be on a BBC? i am using a x-over kit with bypass.

my plan was to either intall it in one of the front port holes located near the front of the intake (dart). also where the ideal place for the water pressure port. once again could this be istalled in the other port in the front of the intake or would it be better to have it in the t-stat housing port. my thought would be to have the water temp sender in the intake port or even have off a tee at the block drain. my thoughts would be that i might get a little more accurate water temp off the block somewhere. i am unsure if the water pressure makes much difference.

also do you have to have a particular sender to be used with gafrig gauges for both water and oil temp.

i am placing an order with hardin marine and thought i would order the senders at the same time.

thanks boater friends.

john

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-19-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Install both the water temp sender and the water pressure line in the top of the intake. You don't want to put them in the block drain holes because of sand and silt. The water pressure hose will get plugged up with crud and it would probably eventually effect the temp senders accuracy.
Hardin can fix you up with the correct senders that you need. Good luck, Eddie.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,481 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Install both the water temp sender and the water pressure line in the top of the intake. You don't want to put them in the block drain holes because of sand and silt. The water pressure hose will get plugged up with crud and it would probably eventually effect the temp senders accuracy.
Hardin can fix you up with the correct senders that you need. Good luck, Eddie.

thanks,
i agree with your comment regarding the crud being near and around the area of the drain petcock. i was just trying to think of a location further away from the isupply as i am using t-stats with the holes in them and figured i would get somewhat of a false reading given that the water can go from the bypass and make is way down through the t-stat holes. i am probably over thinking this and in reality the water shouldn't flow that direction anyway.
thanks again,
john
Old 09-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

No, it should not flow that way. Put them in the intake and they will be fine.
Eddie