Builder for a new set of spare engines

Notices

Builder for a new set of spare engines

Old 10-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by CcanDo
Who has the best, latest and greatest, CNC short block machining equipment, complete with proficient machinist?
why would you want a cnc machined short block, a cnc is only as good as the person setting it up..chc cant tell if it has a bad ston or a bad carbide cutter..i would rather have a proficient machinist with the skill's and machines he is use to doing the machine work..believe me I've seen more mistakes with cnc machining centers on products then a one man milling machine where he can control what he is doing and not a computer.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
why would you want a cnc machined short block, a cnc is only as good as the person setting it up..chc cant tell if it has a bad ston or a bad carbide cutter..i would rather have a proficient machinist with the skill's and machines he is use to doing the machine work..believe me I've seen more mistakes with cnc machining centers on products then a one man milling machine where he can control what he is doing and not a computer.
What mistakes happen on CNC that wouldn't happen on manual feed, if both operators are proficent with their equipment ?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by CcanDo
What mistakes happen on CNC that wouldn't happen on manual feed, if both operators are proficient with their equipment ?
A cnc is designed to set up and walk away and let the machine do its work with nobody most of the time watching it..
What happens if the block shifts? and nobody is their watching it? i would rather have someone watching my parts being machined and being measured by hand instead a computer guessing what the measurements would be if the block isn't chalked square..believe me the machine would be going about its business even if its off by a tho or two or more..

i guess im old school,if you want it done rite you gotta do it yourself

look for getrdunn's post on the dart pro 1 cnc heads he bought,they were cnc'ed and one wouldnt fit over the studs..
Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

A cnc is designed to set up and walk away and let the machine do its work with nobody most of the time watching it..
What happens if the block shifts? and nobody is their watching it? i would rather have someone watching my parts being machined and being measured by hand instead a computer guessing what the measurements would be if the block isn't chalked square..believe me the machine would be going about its business even if its off by a tho or two or more..

i guess im old school,if you want it done rite you gotta do it yourself

look for getrdunn's post on the dart pro 1 cnc heads he bought,they were cnc'ed and one wouldnt fit over the studs..
No argument, then, we have seen a "group" use their personal measuring tools, all getting different numbers.

Modern, updated equipment is a big commitment.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cat,
I think you can custom order blocks from Dart where they will CNC machine the cam, lifter & cylinder bores to your specs. Your engine builder will still do the final clean-up/finish/hone/fit/wash, etc. Is this what you are thinking?
Ben
Old 10-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ben, Perhaps as you already know, I spoke w/ MR and was highly impressed.

Just tying up some loose ends.....Should be ready to do something next week.....Meanwhile, something reminded me to ask here about equipment.

In fact, is there anything you need to check on in west Texas , next wk. ?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This next week is not good as I will be in OH Tues-Fri. I could probably be able to head West sometime 10/20-22.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That might work, lets play it by ear.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why would you want a cnc machined short block, a cnc is only as good as the person setting it up..chc cant tell if it has a bad stone or a bad carbide cutter..i would rather have a proficient machinist with the skill's and machines he is use to doing the machine work..believe me I've seen more mistakes with cnc machining centers on products then a one man milling machine where he can control what he is doing and not a computer.
Also if that shop hasn't done the same block before,he would have to write a program to do it. Ive been in a few shops,and gone behind some of them and found stuff beforeYa pay for a pro and have to go behind them.There a lot of them out there that talk a good game. Go with someone that has a good reputation,and a reputation to loose.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is the 2010 EPA legislation a consideration on this build design?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.