Hull ID #/Boat title >

Hull ID #/Boat title

Notices

Hull ID #/Boat title

Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull ID #/Boat title

If f boat is missing it's title, how do you go about to get a new one? Can you transport a boat across state line without a title?
Should the hull have an ID #? boat is from 1986.
Last question Did Superboat and Pantera share the hull design on their early 24 footers?
Thanks Jan
Old 10-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boat will have a hull ID number, it will be located on the upper right hand side of the transom on the outside. Did you get a bill of sale with the boat when you bought it? I'm guessing you can get a title for it. Here in Kansas you do not title boats so all they come with is a bill of sale.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

A bill of sale from the seller should be all you need. Either way you do not need a title to transport a boat on a trailer.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had some trouble with this when I bought my Powerplay. When you pick the boat up, have the owner of the boat (If known) go to the local Secretary of State with you and have the paperwork done in witness of them.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some states are Title states, others, like Delaware, are non-title states. They require a bill of sale that is notarized.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you better ck with your state on what you need, had a issue once where I got the title later after getting the boat and it had a lein stamped on it...tried to get a title on the bill of sale, but they knew the state had a title....took a while to get it taken cared of..good luck Rob
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

You need to check with your state and the selling state to see what you need. Why can't the owner just request a duplicate title and give it to you - usually costs 5-10 bucks.

My father bought a boat this summer and the guy "forgot" the title when we picked up the boat. Anyways we talked him down on the price some more and he got pissed and didn't send the title until the end of the summer. In that time though my father called the local boat authority and checked if the guy had a title, and whether there was a lien on it - you should definitely check that out!!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philm
Some states are Title states, others, like Delaware, are non-title states. They require a bill of sale that is notarized.

Yeah that was the problem I had with my 185 XLT. Georgia only registers this boat, Michigan titles it. The other problem I had, if I recall correctly, had something to do with Georgia registering there watercraft under the DNR instead of the DMV. It was something like that.