No more 496? >

No more 496?

Notices

No more 496?

Old 10-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more 496?

I see that GM has eliminated all big blocks form their product line.
Being that Merc uses the 8.1 for the 496Mag and HO are we now going to see the GM LSA (CTS-V) type motor out of Merc?http://www.gm.com/experience/technol...ne_engines.jsp
Old 10-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Nope, your gonna see a new Mercruiser 502MAG and 502HO engine with full emissions equipment including catalytic converters in the exhaust manifolds. 380HP for the Mag and 430HP for the HO. No mods allowed for first 5 years! Only question now is will entry and average level performance boaters be able to afford them. The old days of boat builders buying the 496's for $14K are over and the rumor is about $22K for these new beauties. Just what the industry needs right now, emissions systems, higher prices and limited mods and horsepower. Not even sure what Volvo and others will do . 2010 should be interesting to say the least.

Best Regards,
Ray Raylar
Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the Blue motors going to be emission exempt?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question The Suspense is Killing US! Correction-I Mean the EPA is Killing US!

Good Question:
I think the plan is that Mercury may be allowed to use credit offsets from sales of emissions engines to cover sales of Mercury Racing engines and some of the 600HP plus engines may still be exempt up until 2011 in some states. The only problem there might be in this economic marine downturn they wiil have a difficult time selling enough emission engines to get some useable offset credits?
I know some engines like the HP525EFI may have been dropped from the EU certifications in Europe already, but I think Mercury will most likely make a change on that engine soon to get them usable for sale in europe again, its their best seller!
As I have said before, Goin to be an Interesting 2010!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar