winterizing a 500 efi >

winterizing a 500 efi

Notices

winterizing a 500 efi

Old 11-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winterizing a 500 efi

This is my first year winterizing this boat. My other boats had a block drain plug on both sides of the motor however these motors, 500efi's, have a plug only on one side. The other side has a hose plummed into the block about the same area as the side containing the plug. These hoses/lines (about 5/8") appear to be long enough to reach the helm area but are coiled up in the bottom of the engine compartment. The ends are unplugged so I'm not sure as to what purpose they serve. Is anybody familiar with this setup?

PS. The boat was ordered from the factory all set up for blowers just in case somebody wanted to install them (boost gages are installed in the dash). Could these hoses/lines have something to do with this?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The block drains are in the same place. I suspect the hose is connected to block drain and there is a valve you can turn somewhere close to the block to let the water out. You could also just remove the hose and fitting on the block. It should have nothing to do with being prepped for a blower engine.

Last edited by Griff; 11-14-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Registered

Most Hustler's have mechanical water pressure gauges installed in the dash. More than likely you are seeing the hoses for these. My guess is someone replaced the water pressure gauges with boost gauges.
Steve
Old 11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Registered

Alright, I appreciate your responses. I'll look for a shut-off valve but I'm pretty sure that there isn't one. Also, I do have working water pressure gages in the dash. Maybe these lines do go to the dash and the coiled lines are for something else. If these lines coming out of the block are for water pressure do they need to be disconnected for winterizing? I would think so.?.?.?.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Registered

When I winterize I start up the engine and run on the muffs till I see at least 160 on the temp. gauage. Shut off and drain block by opening pecock on block and removing water pressure hose(9/16"wrench) at the block. Allow water to drain completely (may need to clear drain holes with wire or a small screwdriver). Close drains and reconnect pressure hose. Hook up RV antifreeze tank to muffs and start engine and run until antifreeze spits out exhaust (about 4 gal.) shut off engine. Wipe everything down.
Steve
Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Registered

just did my 500 efi's today. There ARE block drains on BOTH sides of the block. I also have water pressure gauges. on the starboard side of the block I have a brass fitting with the water line for gauges and a brass drain/block off plug at the end of fitting. the port side I have the standard BLUE wingnut fitting to drain that side.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Registered

Thanks to all, these responses really help. I called the dealer today that I bought the boat from. He said that they winterize boats the same way that Steve (NEVERSATISFIED) suggested by running antifreeze through the motor. I checked with our local boat dealer's however they don't sell antifreeze for this purpose, they still winterize the old fashion way by just removing the drain plugs. So now I have to find out where I can buy large jugs of it.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RV antifreeze is available just about everywhere (pink stuff). Get about 6-7 gallons per motor.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Registered

after I drain the blocks,exhausr,pumps and coolers I just pull a couple hoses off the T-stat housing and fill them up till antifreeze pours out or its filled. I used about 5-6 gals per motor. I would just run the motor and fill with antifreeze but I would alsays be worried that the T-stat might close?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by "SHUKO"
Thanks to all, these responses really help. I called the dealer today that I bought the boat from. He said that they winterize boats the same way that Steve (NEVERSATISFIED) suggested by running antifreeze through the motor. I checked with our local boat dealer's however they don't sell antifreeze for this purpose, they still winterize the old fashion way by just removing the drain plugs. So now I have to find out where I can buy large jugs of it.
Walmart, Menards, etc. Pink RV antifreeze is about $4 a gallon and 5 Gallons per engine should be plenty as long as you have them warmed up to temp to open Tstats first.

Last edited by Griff; 11-17-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.