350 chevy vortec??? >

350 chevy vortec???

Notices

350 chevy vortec???

Old 11-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,476 Likes on 801 Posts
Default 350 chevy vortec???

Just thought I would share my unhappy experience today. I granaided the engine in my plow truck, (96 chevy P.U.) recently. I rebuilt another engine that a friend had. The rebuild went fine and got the engine in the truck. I waited to prime the pump until after the engine was installed only to find out that oil gooshed out the oil galley that I didn't plug in the top rear of the engine. Conveniently located half under the head near where the head, intake and block come together on the driver side. This really sucks and I can't believe I didn't catch this however I can see where it might be easily missed. I noticed this oil hole during the short block assm. and then completely forgot about it when installing the heads. Once the head was on you can only see about a 1/3rd of the hole. This is going to blow a whole day to fix this one.

I tried JB welding and it didn't hold. Any other IDEAS???
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks, but you know what you have to do. Do it right or wish you did later
Old 11-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

gtr,
I had a customer do the same thing and he ended up taking a die grinder and "relieved" the head just enough to get a plug started and screwed in

Only other choice is the one you really dont want to hear .... pull the head and put a plug in

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
gtr,
I had a customer do the same thing and he ended up taking a die grinder and "relieved" the head just enough to get a plug started and screwed in

Only other choice is the one you really dont want to hear .... pull the head and put a plug in

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
Funny you mention this. That was the first thing I thought of and even tried it on the old engine laying on the shop floor. My only concern was the metal shavings going directly down the hole. Maybe have someone prime the engine at the same time I grind so the oil and shavings push out the top I would be fine. LOL...

I would like to talk to your friend though. If I go the other route I'll end up having to replace the head and intake gaskets also.

Are vortec heads different than others? Just wondering why this hole is even in this location. No reason what so ever for it. Then again it's been a while since I have rebuilt a small block.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

Getr,
The hole is there so that a drill can go through during the manufacturing process and drill an oil passage further down in the engine. If you looked at a bare block you would see what I mean. All small blocks since the beginning of time have had the hole there. If you want to try the grinder trick. I would put a "glob" (technical term ) of rtv in the hole, let it cure, grind the head then pull the rtv out.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
Getr,
The hole is there so that a drill can go through during the manufacturing process and drill an oil passage further down in the engine. If you looked at a bare block you would see what I mean. All small blocks since the beginning of time have had the hole there. If you want to try the grinder trick. I would put a "glob" (technical term ) of rtv in the hole, let it cure, grind the head then pull the rtv out.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
Thanks Bill,
I did the right thing. Pulled it apart and pluged it. Just one of those things you'd like to find an easier way out however in most cases leads to another problem. I just took the time and did it right. I wont forget it next time. Just another lesson learned. I felt more stupid about it than anything. The last small block I rebuilt was at least 12 yrs ago. Perhaps a little brain fade is playing a part also... LOL.
Thanks again,
John