Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
small blocks or big blocks? >

small blocks or big blocks?

Notices

small blocks or big blocks?

Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I got tired of having to grind the bearing clearance into the crank for both the rods and mains. The journals would vary almost .001 from one to the next. It would take me days to set up the bearings. I have spent as much as 3 days to set rod and main bearing clearances. I can't afford to do that....and I shouldn't have to. Up until about 3 years ago the Eagle stuff wasn't that bad. It was decent for the money. But not now. It's not worth it to me if they were free.
Eddie
Ok Eddie, What would you build 2 450 to 500hp long blocks for?
I don't care if they are big or small blocks, roller or not but I do want them to be hyd. lifters I dont want to adjust valves all the time. I will use a good exhaust and they have to run on 89 octaine.
send me a E-Mail or a IM if you don't want to put a price out on here.
Just remember they are going in a $25000.00 boat not $200,000.00 boat.
I'm not working with a unlimited budget.
You have told me that what I have priced out is junk so tell me what you sell the good stuf for.
Thanks,
Keith
Old 12-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I would be glad to price out a couple of long blocks for you. The point I was trying to make was that for the same money as the Eagle stuff, you could use a Scat crank and rods and have much better parts. It's not always what you spend as much as what you buy.
In your case, you could easily use a stock 502 long block to reach your target hp. The GM steel crank and 7/16 rods are more than sufficient for that. On the other hand, you would need some pretty decent parts in a small block to make 500 hp reliably.
I would highly recommend a BB. You can reach your target power level much easier and still have room to grow in the future, all using stock GM parts. Not so with a SB.
I will shoot you a pm with some pricing as soon as I can. Thanks.
Eddie
Old 12-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will agree the BB hasmore potential for future upgrades.
But you say start with a stock 502. in my area your looking aroudn $4000 for a used one. Then freshen it up your sittign aroudn $5000 for the long block. then get a set of heads for aroudn $2500. now your not even complete and way past what a small block would cost that runs 500hp