Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best subwoofers >

Best subwoofers

Notices

Best subwoofers

Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Wet Sounds XS-10FA, as I said before. These are designed for infinite baffle, 250W rms, 500 peak. http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-10FA.html

Jonyb
If you would please price out 4 tens along with recommended box size as well as port size and length. Thanks for your help. I will be certain to drive them accordingly and won't scrimp on power. Just thought I would mention I do like to run them a slight bit on the loose side. I have heard boxes (subs) that are extremely tight and not that there is nothing wrong with that however.... Hope that makes sense. Once again if you don't mind send a price to

[email protected]

I only have just over 11" on the heigth to work with under the rear seat. the depth is probably near 14" and width is near 78". I can confirm the second two numbers if we are running tight on cubic feet.

thanksm
John

Last edited by getrdunn; 12-29-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Also better shoot me a price on the xs650's and or the ss65's. I assume that four of the xs650's would be best with 4 tens. They look like they cover a wide mid range.
Thanks,
John
Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by boatinbill
which Odessey battery?
I would use the PC2150's. They are group 31's and you can get Marine battery box hold downs for them.
http://www.odysseybatteries.net/PC2150-battery.html
Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought (4) Kinetik 1400's for 149.00ea. This appeared to be the best price I could find for the watts/battery.

I also looked at the others Odessey and Stinger, but the price couldn't be beat.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered

The Stinger's are pricey, but they also come with a 2-year replacement warranty. I'd put them up to any battery on the market.....
Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Registered

I"m not very stereo savy so thoughts on what I think I'd like to build for the 32 Skater project will be appreciated.

Fusion CD-600 head w/ i-Pod dock connection
JL Audio MHD600/4 for 4 speakers
JL Audio M770-CCW-SG-TB two sets in cockpit
JL Audio M10W5-SG 10" Single 4 ohm subs x 4
JL Audio M1700 x 2 (2 subs per amp wired parallel)

5-man Piratecom M40 intercom

I like the zone volume control in the Fusion head to be able to control the cockpit volume separately from the intercom system.

The subs will be in the open side storage areas (2 on each side)kind of facing each other one forward and one aft at each end of the cockpit. Then place the four cockpit speakers on the side panels one near the front bucket seats and one set by the rear bench.

Will this get the tight pounding base and clear sound that I hope for?
Anything we should add like capacitor, etc.?
What battery system should we add?

It seems that some of you like these subs............ What about the rest of the components?

Good discussion!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Don't Bite Me!
I"m not very stereo savy so thoughts on what I think I'd like to build for the 32 Skater project will be appreciated.

I like the zone volume control in the Fusion head to be able to control the cockpit volume separately from the intercom system.

The subs will be in the open side storage areas (2 on each side)kind of facing each other one forward and one aft at each end of the cockpit. Then place the four cockpit speakers on the side panels one near the front bucket seats and one set by the rear bench.

It seems that some of you like these subs............ What about the rest of the components?

Good discussion!
My preference is the Alpine PDX amps. They draw less power, create less heat, and are very compact. You should not need need capacitors, just a couple good batteries like the Odyssey, Stinger or Kinetics. I would think about another 2-4 speakers in the cockpit. You should be able to just run them in parallel off the same amp if it is 2 ohm stable. The PDX's are 2 ohm stable. You could install the initial 4 770's, but have a plan to add more speakers if needed.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
My preference is the Alpine PDX amps. They draw less power, create less heat, and are very compact. You should not need need capacitors, just a couple good batteries like the Odyssey, Stinger or Kinetics. I would think about another 2-4 speakers in the cockpit. You should be able to just run them in parallel off the same amp if it is 2 ohm stable. The PDX's are 2 ohm stable. You could install the initial 4 770's, but have a plan to add more speakers if needed.
Has anyone used the JL class D amps? They are more pricy than the PDX's but read they have better sound quality. Not sure thats worth the extra price in boating environment. I am using PDX's as stated by Griff.

For battery, Sears has a new marine type 31 battery made by Odyssey. They are new to my boat this yr since the old cheap ones stopped holding a charge last yr. They are about $250 which is about half of Oddessy charges from everywhere i looked.

*edit- After reading seeing Griffs link, looks like he found an Odyssey closer in price. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rine+Batteries

Last edited by BDiggity; 12-31-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Don't Bite Me!

Good discussion!
Like Griff stated, plan for expansion. The 770 components are awesome speakers, but in a boat it is difficult to get the volume out of the boat. Installing on sides will allow the sound to bounce around inside the boat, but difficult to hear on the water or on shore. Need to get them as high as possible and if you can make pods that will allow the speakers to face upward some, will make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails Best subwoofers-p1010603.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BDiggity
Has anyone used the JL class D amps? They are more pricy than the PDX's but read they have better sound quality. Not sure thats worth the extra price in boating environment. I am using PDX's as stated by Griff.

For battery, Sears has a new marine type 31 battery made by Odyssey. They are new to my boat this yr since the old cheap ones stopped holding a charge last yr. They are about $250 which is about half of Oddessy charges from everywhere i looked.

*edit- After reading seeing Griffs link, looks like he found an Odyssey closer in price. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rine+Batteries
Just to preface: I cannot speak to the quality of the PDX amps as I have not run them.. BUT.. I do know they rate the amps at 14.5 (or so) volts coming in. They do (if I understand correctly) have a slight power loss at 12 volts. JL has some sort of power system in their amps that avoids this. They produce 600 watts from 11-14 volts.

I use JL Class D amps. 2 600/4 driving 8 6.5 speakers (4 ohms per speaker) and 4 10 inch free air subs powerd by 750/1 JL Amp.

I also power 2 770 speakers with a 300/4 (Bridged).

This setup sounds crazy loud and clean. The bass is not as "tight" as one would like but I did not have room for a box for the subs. However the bass does "travel" well when we are tied up in a line. Besides, once you are ties up with all the noise around you it is the mids and esp the highs that you hear the most several boats away..

I am powering this with 2 simple Interstate group 29 bats. I got remanufactured bats 2 years ago for $35 bucks. Just keep them on a charger.. They play 3/4 vol for hours and hours..

Last edited by JohnSchiavarelli; 12-31-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.