Adding fuel injection >

Adding fuel injection

Notices

Adding fuel injection

Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve H
I just intalled a used Merc Mpi set up on my port engine (carbed 502). It went on easily and once I got everything hooked up right it started right up. Set the timing, good to go. I have put about 4 hours of run time with no problems.

I have instant starts, great throttle response, and a solid idle in gear or not. I can't say that for the engine that still has the carb on it.

The cool part is being able to run twin engines with one carbed and the other EFI. According to the floscan, the injected motor is burning 16gph at cruise and the carbed unit is burning 20 gph. That's huge! I was hoping for maybe 10%.

If you shop around you can find a complete used set up for less than a grand. I paid a mechanic to do the actual install because I can't crawl around on the engines like I used to. I did do the final electrical and fuel connections though.

I am very happy with the results, and I would highly recomend it. We just started converting the other side lastnight. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as the first one.

Steve H
Wow, I bet you get some head scratches when you pop your hatch. Do you have to give one more throtle than the other? Does one pull more RPM than the other at WOT? I assume you will be looking for a deal on another setup. I converted from a carb to MPI about 4 years ago. I like the easy starts and better performance. It made the boat much quicker but only about 1MPH gain in speed.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Wow, I bet you get some head scratches when you pop your hatch. Do you have to give one more throtle than the other? Does one pull more RPM than the other at WOT? I assume you will be looking for a deal on another setup. I converted from a carb to MPI about 4 years ago. I like the easy starts and better performance. It made the boat much quicker but only about 1MPH gain in speed.

The engines are under the floor, so I don't pop the hatch unless needed. The injected engine defintely takes less throttle. The injected side is more powerful than it was by a small margin. I think that I will gain a mile an hour or two. Top speed was 50 mph if loaded light on fuel. Maybe 52 now? We'll see.
I already have the other side half done now. Just missing a few sensors, so I'm off to NAPA.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Adding fuel injection-img_0736-medium-.jpg