whats next? looking for future up grades on 454 >

whats next? looking for future up grades on 454

Notices

whats next? looking for future up grades on 454

Old 12-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default whats next? looking for future up grades on 454

ok, i am on a tight budget and i like to plan my build ups and buy parts for them as i go. the engine as is will be running this spring but like i said i like to start collecting parts so i am looking for a game plan, keep in mind this is a tight budget build.

right now the lower end is a gen 6 454 that was a NON mag mpi block which means it is not a forged lower end, i have read allot saying that the crank should handle 5-600hp, not sure if thats true or not? the short block had 50 hours on it when i got it. i have added since then

the "vortec" style heads off a 99 mpi that i have had viatom seals installed, isky 8205 springs, locks, spacers, retianers, arp studs, scorpion roller rockers.......

crane 731 cam

crane hi-6m box

edelbrock air gap intake

holley 750

k&n flame arrestor

thunderbolt igntion setup

i think its a 14" oil cooler

permacool thermostat

gil exhuast

i used the stock valves, push rods and timing chain, all are low hour

here is a question i have, i was trying to find a cam lock plate to fit a gen vi motor and cant seem to locate one, are they not made? are they not needed since there is a retainer plate to hold the cam in?

i have considered going to a 496 stroker setup, there are many online for sale, are they any good? i dont think i need a forged crank?, i would like to be around 500-550hp and the cast stuff seems to be rated to at least that if not more. if i go that route i would like to build another short block and transfer all of my stuff of off my existing motor over to it. or maybe i should just stick to this setup? who knows. any comments or advice on whats next or should i be happy with the combo i have? it would be a goal of mine to be able to go 70ish, not sure how far off i am yet, i will know as soon as all of this snow melts

Last edited by regalman4925; 01-03-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Registered

bump
Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I am currently building two 496 stroker engines and its not cheap. I would not use cast cranks or pistons on anything over 400HP.
You are going to need alot more to get to your 500-550 goals.
I hear you on the snow, it might melt by May at this pace.

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 01-03-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered

yea this snow is just horrible this year, i am built for a warmer climate lol. how much do you think a stroker short block will run me? are hyperutecic pistons acceptable? i am not planning any boost or anything crazy
Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Get Forged pistons. Your 750 carb would be on the small side for a 496.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I am guessing cost wise, you may be better off buying a completely assembled shortblock 496 from someone like dynoflo or similar. You will have a NEW Dart block, Forged crank, pistons, etc. Everything NEW, assembled and balanced. I would imagine with buying a stroker kit, machine work, couple new parts here and there, it might get close in cost to just buy new. Plus you can always sell your old stuff off.

Only issue would be is your gen VI heads. I belive the dart blocks are gen IV style. Then again, you can sell your heads, and get some Dart Pro 1's or similiar. Basically a brand new motor and 550+HP all day long.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

well if i get a short block then i can re use my heads. also if i go that route i am gonna hve to make sure it is a gen 6 motor so i can run my cam in it. it may be a good option though. also looking into finding a 502 block. found one that hada hole in the side of it, said it was wacked with a sludge hammer or something? not sure if that can be fixed, could have got it for 500 bucks though.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can, but the little oval port heads were the worse thing chevy ever made.

you can buy 496, 4340 rotating asm. for around 2k. you heads and intake are the key to all your power though. Vortec heads even hold back a 454.

NEVER buy a block that needs repair unless you know what your doing.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran an add in the paper looking for 502's. Only had two responces, first one an old farmer who had a 402 in an old car in the barn, the second a guy in town had one in a burned up truck for $700 which would be a good deal but I needed a pair. That is why I decied to keep my block and oil pan and build a couple of strokers.
Like mentioned above
Rotating assembly $2,000
Dart Pro 1 Heads $2,500
Cam & lifters $1,000
Machine work and all the other goodies adds up fast X 2.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered

well if i need 2k for the rotating assembly i dont think it will cost much more then 500 in machine work, i will assemble it myself so i am at oir around 2500, thats about what i was looking for at the top of my budget. does that guy in town still have that 502? if so do you know if its a gen V or VI? thats part of the reason i have not gone bigger yet, with twins everything costs double! i am trying to solve my oil line issues, i am thinking -10 push lock fittings and i would love to find a cam bolt lock plate but i cant find one anywhere, i would think this would be a common part but i guess not. i need this snow to go away so i can get out and make a list of what i have left to get running

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.