Scat engine components

Notices

Scat engine components

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Scat engine components

Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with Scat BBC engine components. Cranks, rods etc. A friend wants to use their stuff in a couple of 572" BBC blower motors at 700-800hp.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally do not care for there cranks. The price is right but by the time you put the machine work into the piece to make it acceptable to run it is not worth it. Go with Callies on the crank and have not had any issues with there rods (if he is going for cheap). That is if you are going to try to make 700 plus hp. you get what you pay for, I am sure the the hot shots on the site will chime in.............

Last edited by Throttle Fever; 01-08-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Registered

I agree that Callies makes better cranks, but with that kind of HP, you may want to use billet steel rods.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RMPRam
Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with Scat BBC engine components. Cranks, rods etc. A friend wants to use their stuff in a couple of 572" BBC blower motors at 700-800hp.
If you are going to keep the power at or below 800, then the Scat stuff is just fine. I have made almost 1000hp with it, but I would not recommend it. That particular engine wasn't supposed to be that much power. It just kept growing and ended up at 945 hp. I wouldn't do it again that way. Stay away from Eagle.
For a little more money, you could step up to the Compstar line. They are about 40-50% more than the Scat, but will handle more power. Like I said, at 800 the Scat stuff is fine. Any more than that, I would go to the Compstar, Howards, or Manley rods. The Howards Billet rods are very nice and only run about $900 a set. They are good to well over 1000 hp. Whatever rods you use. step up to the ARP 2000 bolts. Do not use the 8640 bolts.
Good luck.
Eddie
Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
If you are going to keep the power at or below 800, then the Scat stuff is just fine. I have made almost 1000hp with it, but I would not recommend it. That particular engine wasn't supposed to be that much power. It just kept growing and ended up at 945 hp. I wouldn't do it again that way. Stay away from Eagle.
For a little more money, you could step up to the Compstar line. They are about 40-50% more than the Scat, but will handle more power. Like I said, at 800 the Scat stuff is fine. Any more than that, I would go to the Compstar, Howards, or Manley rods. The Howards Billet rods are very nice and only run about $900 a set. They are good to well over 1000 hp. Whatever rods you use. step up to the ARP 2000 bolts. Do not use the 8640 bolts.
Good luck.
Eddie

Just curious, but what don't you like about Eagle products? I'm not partial to any brand, but I've had good luck with Eagle stroker products (and SCAT stuff for that matter).
Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

A few years ago, the Eagle stuff was OK. Their quality control has went way down hill. You never know what you are going to get. Both the main and rod journals on their cranks will vary by .001 or more. I am a fanatic about bearing clearances and their is no way to get exact clearances when the journals vary that much. You just never know what you are going to get.
Eddie
Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 on the Callies stuff, the eagle and scat QC has gone way down hill. the Callies stuff is spot-on, and if you shop around enough you can find it for the same price as the others.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Registered

Default scat rods

I spoke with Scat several days ago regarding the rods. They said their H beam BB Chevy rods with ARP 2000 bolts are rated for 1200 hp at 7000 rpm. Summit has these for 541.00