Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
External Steering: Stern only, worth it? >

External Steering: Stern only, worth it?

Notices

External Steering: Stern only, worth it?

Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

I hope you don't mind my question here NQ. If so I will delete the post however I am up against the same thing at the moment. The only dif is this is a twin TRS application with all the original components from 78. The steer seemed completely fine at speeds under 60 mph however I have stepped up the engines and plan on running over 80. I know that kind of speed is nothing anymore however one of my problems is that my cmi tails don't clear the steering cyl. mounted on the transom starboard engine. cmi wants 600 bucks to alter the angle on the tails so I was just thinking why not go hyd. What would be my least exp. yet good route to go that I could add to later on. I can't really swing the whole deal right now. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Registered

http://www.keitheickert.com/detail.aspx?ID=10491

How does this kit tie in with the cable from the helm. Also it appears that I would still need the steer ram or componet that the cable currently mounts? Is this a correct assumption or is that eliminated? I have 0 knowledge on the subject and could use a little help.

Once again sorry for robbing your thread ///
Old 01-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not that familiar with the trs setup, but I have a latham add on setup on a bravo, and all the junk in the engine compartment is still there. I would like to go to full hydraulic, but am not sure what all I need.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tx911
I am not that familiar with the trs setup, but I have a latham add on setup on a bravo, and all the junk in the engine compartment is still there. I would like to go to full hydraulic, but am not sure what all I need.
As far as all the inside components go I think the bravo and trs are very similar. I don't have a Bravo set up here to look at to be certain though.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:34 AM
NoQuarter

Once again sorry for robbing your thread ///
No problem. It's a good discussion. Have at it!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I hope you don't mind my question here NQ. If so I will delete the post however I am up against the same thing at the moment. The only dif is this is a twin TRS application with all the original components from 78. The steer seemed completely fine at speeds under 60 mph however I have stepped up the engines and plan on running over 80. I know that kind of speed is nothing anymore however one of my problems is that my cmi tails don't clear the steering cyl. mounted on the transom starboard engine. cmi wants 600 bucks to alter the angle on the tails so I was just thinking why not go hyd. What would be my least exp. yet good route to go that I could add to later on. I can't really swing the whole deal right now. Any Ideas?

Thanks
If you want to get rid of the cable that is in the way you will have to go full hydrolic. I have seen a few systems done by Imco for TRS that worked very nice. You may also want to take a look at Zeigar (not sure on the spelling). I know that a lot of people talk highly of them as well.

Jon
Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tx911
You would need the helm,helm Kit, hoses, fittings, filter. It's an easy install and makes a big difference in handling.
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price