Merc 496 lifter oiling issue >

Merc 496 lifter oiling issue

Notices

Merc 496 lifter oiling issue

Old 01-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rage:

I certainly am not trying to be mean spirited or self serving here, but after watching and slightly participating in your efforts to make a 525HP or so 496 out of your original stock 496 it seems as though if you took all the money and huge amount of time and frustration you have taken on this motor you might have been better served just to have purchased one of our 496 kits and bolted it on and gone boating.
I know from our conversations and your threads over the past several years you love to do this stuff and tweak on engines but in this case your lessons, time and expenses seem to have gotten so counterproductive that it must be a bit frustrating and your still not at a place of having a resonably upgraded power 496 that will run day in and day out over long periods of time like it should. I guess a lot of performance boaters /self taught engine tweakers sometimes get themselves into this trap and I just wish I could have convinced you a couple of years ago not to go down this road.

In any event, After at WOT run and the engine idles for a while with this valve train clatter (lifter noise or such) does the oil cool and the clatter stop?
Your saying this condition did not start until you reversed oil flow to the Hardin cooler?
My thoughts with respect to your valvetrain issues and bent parts are such that if they are somewhat grossly bad now your valve train noises would be pretty much all the time noises.
On a mechanical guage at the back of the block what is your cold oil pressure and what is it when hot after most WOT runs even when you first did the rebuild -upgrade?
Did you replace the oil gallery vented (hole in center) plugs with solid plugs?
Are you usuing Raylars HV/HD - Melling special oil pump or something else?
Did you fool with or change the oil pressure relief valve settings on the oil pump or the oil pump relief valve springs?
If you change the oil flow direction on your installed cooler does this condition stop?
You know you've experimented on the build of this engine so much that it now becomes harder to think thru and find your gremlins.
Keep it simple for now, reverse the oil direction back to the way it was, if it stops YOUR DONE, go use your boat and stop tinkering!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 01-22-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I now see that I omited a significant point. All the lifters are not making noise. Only one or two on the left bank only.

I am out of town until March so trying to learn all possible causes for when I get back in March and tear into it. I am trying to determine if I have to pull the engine (want to avoid if at all possible) or not to identify /correct the problem.

Last edited by Rage; 01-22-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Rage:

I certainly am not trying to be mean spirited or self serving here, but after watching and slightly participating in your efforts to make a 525HP or so 496 out of your original stock 496 ABOUT 600HP THESE DAYSit seems as though if you took all the money and huge amount of time and frustration you have taken on this motor you might have been better served just to have purchased one of our 496 kits and bolted it on and gone boating. I HAVE MADE THAT EXACT STATEMENT ON ANY NUMBER OF POSTS
I know from our conversations and your threads over the past several years you love to do this stuff and tweak on engines but in this case your lessons, time and expenses seem to have gotten so counterproductive that it must be a bit frustrating and your still not at a place of having a resonably upgraded power 496 that will run day in and day out over long periods of time like it should. I guess a lot of performance boaters /self taught engine tweakers sometimes get themselves into this trap and I just wish I could have convinced you a couple of years ago not to go down this road.LESSON LEARNED LONG AGO

In any event, After at WOT run and the engine idles for a while with this valve train clatter (lifter noise or such) does the oil cool and the clatter stop?NO THE CLATTER DOES NOT STOP
Your saying this condition did not start until you reversed oil flow to the Hardin cooler?IT DID NOT OCCUR UNTIL AFTER THE STUD BROKE, THE STUDS WERE REPLACED, THE SPRINGS WERE REPLACED AND THE OIL COOLER FLOW WAS REVERSED. THE ENGINE HAD NOT BEEN RUN ABOVE HIGH IDLE AFTER THE STUD BROKE UNTIL NOW
My thoughts with respect to your valvetrain issues and bent parts are such that if they are somewhat grossly bad now your valve train noises would be pretty much all the time noises.THE LIFTER CLATTER IS FROM THE LEFT BANK ONLY, CONTINUOUS AND ONLY ONE OR TWO LIFTERS NOT ALL LIFTERS ON THE LEFT BANK
On a mechanical guage at the back of the block what is your cold oil pressure and what is it when hot after most WOT runs even when you first did the rebuild -upgrade?ONLY ELECTRIC TRANSDUCER OIL PRESSURE READINGS AVAILABLE FROM TWO SOURCES . LIVORSI DASH GAGE AND MERCRUISER SMARTCRAFT/ECU/DIACOM RECORDING. THE LIVORSI TRANSDUCER IS LOCATED AT THE TOP REAR OF THE ENGINE BLOCK. THE MERCRUISER TRANSDUCER IS LOCATED AT THE BOTTOM REAR OF THE ENGINE BLOCK. READINGS FROM BOTH ARE THE SAME. COLD OIL PRESSURE AT 780/5500 RPM IS 55/80 PSI, WARM OIL IS 45/75 PSI, HOT OIL IS 25/55 PSI. THE HOT PSI IS FROM USED OIL WITH REDUCED VISCOSITY.
Did you replace the oil gallery vented (hole in center) plugs with solid plugs? THEY WERE REPLACED BUT ARE STILL THE VENTED PLUGS
Are you usuing Raylars HV/HD - Melling special oil pump or something else?YOUR RAYLAR MELLING PUMP
Did you fool with or change the oil pressure relief valve settings on the oil pump or the oil pump relief valve springs?NO BUT INSTALLED THE 30PSI BYPASS VALVES IN THE BLOCK THAT YOU PROVIDED
If you change the oil flow direction on your installed cooler does this condition stop?TO BE DETERMINED IN MARCH
You know you've experimented on the build of this engine so much that it now becomes harder to think thru and find your gremlins.
Keep it simple for now, reverse the oil direction back to the way it was, if it stops YOUR DONE, go use your boat and stop tinkering!I THOUGHT I WAS DONE BUT......

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
RESPONSES TO YOUR QUESTIONS ABOVE. IF YOU THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE PLEASE INCLUDE.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT RAY.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SDFever
Based on everything you've said up to this point, I'd pull that intake, rockers and push rods and have a good look at everything. All the speculation does not answer anything. Fun to talk about when you're bored and locked in doors but I wouldn't run it anymore until I had an answer. I don't believe there is anything you could do at this point to make it go away without getting the hands dirty...

Good luck!
I know I will be tearing into it to see what I can find. I am really trying to figure out if the problem can be resolved without having to get into the lower end or not. There is a big big difference in my situation if I have to pull the engine or not.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Registered

Wink

Thanks Rage:

I think the stud issue could have damaged a lifter or two with the changed ratio a bent stud could produce.
Do you have aftermarket roller lifter?
Do you have aftermarket roller rockers?
Have you changed rocker ratios from 1.7 to something higher?
Have you changed the pushrods or are they still stock?
Which camshaft are you running and who made it? What was the base circle size if you know?

Just a few more questions here to give me some more thoughts.

600HP is impressive if you are really there but that should not be a real problem. We built SD FEVERS 600HP plus 496 and he's got big hours on that puppy and believe me when I say he drives it like he stole it in saltwater all the time!

If you've got roller rockers, you might want to run the engines at idle with the valve covers off and pinpoint if its the rocker making the noise, the lifter itself or even maybe a valve noise.

Those oil pressures cold seem fine but the hot oil pressures seem maybe just a little low considering you've got a big aftermarket oil cooler on there with a thermosat I suppose.
Low oil pressure as a whole should make all lifters noisy someaht the same, not just two or so isolated lifters.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 01-22-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Thanks Rage:

I think the stud issue could have damaged a lifter or two with the changed ratio a bent stud could produce.
Do you have aftermarket roller lifter? STILL THE ORIGINAL STOCK MERC 496HO/GM LIFTERS WITH ~300 HOURS ON THEMDo you have aftermarket roller rockers?CRANE ROLLER ROCKER

Have you changed rocker ratios from 1.7 to something higher?NO
Have you changed the pushrods or are they still stock?TREND HD PUSH RODS
Which camshaft are you running and who made it? FIRST 80 HOURS HP3 GEN I BY CRANE, NEXT 70 HOURS HP3 GEN II TILL NOW FROM COMP CAM BOTH WITH 0.6" LIFT. What was the base circle size if you know? BASE CIRCLE UNKNOWN.

Just a few more questions here to give me some more thoughts.

600HP is impressive if you are really there but that should not be a real problem. We built SD FEVERS 600HP plus 496 and he's got big hours on that puppy and believe me when I say he drives it like he stole it in saltwater all the time!

If you've got roller rockers, you might want to run the engines at idle with the valve covers off and pinpoint if its the rocker making the noise, the lifter itself or even maybe a valve noise.OK

Those oil pressures cold seem fine but the hot oil pressures seem maybe just a little low considering you've got a big aftermarket oil cooler on there with a thermosatYES I suppose. THE COLD AND WARM OIL PRESSURE NUMBERS ARE FROM FRESH 15W50 M1 OIL THIS LATEST RUN DISCUSSED. I DID NOT RUN THE ENGINE LONG ENOUGH THIS TIME TO GET THE OIL "HOT" SO I QUOTED EARLIER RUNS WHILE DOING A/R DATA COLLECTION WITH OLD 20W50 AMSOIL SERIES 2000 RACING OIL BEAT DOWN TO ~30W PER OIL ANALYSIS AND RUN VERY HOT ~280F+.
Low oil pressure as a whole should make all lifters noisy someaht the same, not just two or so isolated lifters.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

AN ADDITIONAL ITEM IS THAT UNDER THE PARTICULAR WEATHER CONDITIONS I RAN THIS TIME THE ENGINE WOULD NORMALLY TURN 5800 RPM AT WOT BUT WOULD ONLY SPIN 5500 RPM AND FELT SLUGGISH.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INSIGHT AND SUGGESTIONS.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Registered

I don't understand why the stock lifters have not been replaced. I agree w mike tkach I think something is not right in the valve train, If it was me, I would call Eddie at Young Performance marine. This guy knows his stuff and I think that he is the sharpest one that I've spoke to. Don't let the cajun accent fool you this guy goes into such detail its crazy, and has probally forgotten more than most so called professionals know. Spoke to him this week regarding my engine and could tell that he is a master in this field. Personally I think you need to get ready to pull the motor. I did not see that Raylar was in on the thread, he seems to be sharp as well.

Last edited by Greenkeeper; 01-23-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rage
AN ADDITIONAL ITEM IS THAT UNDER THE PARTICULAR WEATHER CONDITIONS I RAN THIS TIME THE ENGINE WOULD NORMALLY TURN 5800 RPM AT WOT BUT WOULD ONLY SPIN 5500 RPM AND FELT SLUGGISH.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INSIGHT AND SUGGESTIONS.
Ray,

The base circle of my current HP3 Gen II cam appears to be about 0.070" smaller than the stock 496HO cam. I accumulated 120 hours with the HP3 Gen I Crane cam and 95 hours with the HP3 Gen II Comp Cam cam both with 0.6" lift though the base circle could have been different on the Crane. Oil pressure at the previously described oil pressure sensor locations has been sufficient during the 215 engine hour period.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Registered

Wink

If you got 95 engine hours with this newer version cam with its slightly smaller base circle with no such valve train noise then that's not the problem. As I said, this noise did not show up until you reversed oil flow at the cooler is that so? Is that what you were describing? If that is the case, reverse the oil line direction back and see if the noise stops.
I am saying this because that appears to be what you said in your original post.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bill,

Is the oil entering on the thermostat side of the cooler? This is the way mine is routed and it seems to be working well.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.