Intake manifold water ports >

Intake manifold water ports

Notices

Intake manifold water ports

Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
STEAM POCKETS are usually the wrong head gasket, not intake gasket. No other symptoms in the engine? Really strange.

There are thousands of engines out there that don't channel the water from the back of the engine. Maybe check your exhaust for a hairline crack? Crank the air pressue up pretty high as the problem might only show up once the engine reaches temp.

Same thing with a possible hairline crack in the head??

Just thinking out loud? Try dumping the water first, but if that doesn't help, you might want to start looking somewhere else.
Nope.. no other symptoms. I hear it is common to have engine temps fluctuate a bit with a crossover. I know the head gaskets are correct. Merlin III block and canfield heads. spoke to both companies before I put the long block together.. Exhaust was just tested when I had the O2 Sensor bung & Pyrometer bung installed. CMI did it. I also run a mercury pressure dump valve right after the sea water pump and a pressure gauge.. pressure never goes over 30 psi.. and plugs look great at every change. leak down test was awesome as well as compression.. motor runs fine.. real fine.. going on year 6 now.. just a small (and livable) temp issue.. I will try the lines and see what happens.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli
BUT.. kept going off.. temp sender would read @130 or so.. switched them.. temp says 170 (cycles due to crossover) and buzzer is never heard from.. Why the difference in water temp from side to side??

thanks
John
All summer I was fighting a problem with #8 cylinder sticking exhaust valves. I took out I think 3valves this summer, hit the piston on all occasions and bent the valves pretty bad. Luckily they did not take out the piston, Good Ferrea inconel valves.

I did some testing on the hose with an infrared pyrometer. Cylinder heads around #1 #2 and #7 were running around 190*F and cylinder #8 was around 300*F.

I took the heads off to look for obstructions in the block and I found none, I drilled more water ports on the head surface of the head and still no help. I then drilled out the back of my manifold and added dumps. This seems to have fixed it. I have 4 Merlin heads and same head gaskets on my twin engines. These heads were on other engines with no problems and I had GM 088's prior with no problems. I can't explain why I had this problem but the drilled out rear intake manifold solved it.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
All summer I was fighting a problem with #8 cylinder sticking exhaust valves. I took out I think 3valves this summer, hit the piston on all occasions and bent the valves pretty bad. Luckily they did not take out the piston, Good Ferrea inconel valves.

I did some testing on the hose with an infrared pyrometer. Cylinder heads around #1 #2 and #7 were running around 190*F and cylinder #8 was around 300*F.

I took the heads off to look for obstructions in the block and I found none, I drilled more water ports on the head surface of the head and still no help. I then drilled out the back of my manifold and added dumps. This seems to have fixed it. I have 4 Merlin heads and same head gaskets on my twin engines. These heads were on other engines with no problems and I had GM 088's prior with no problems. I can't explain why I had this problem but the drilled out rear intake manifold solved it.
Wow.. big difference indeed... Sounds like a world of trouble. gives me an idea though.. I should grab one of those guns from the local shop and see what temps I am running..
Old 01-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
yup, 1/2" male npt to the intake, other two ends are female. Install the sensor in one and connect the hose to the other.

On mine I have 1/2" male NPT, to two female 1/2" npts. Then a 1/2" npt sensor in one hole and a male 1/2" npt to -6 fitting in the other.

Stainless looks better but you can also get it in brass, whatever your fancy is!
Panther
Any ideas where I can find stainless?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Panther
Any ideas where I can find stainless?
McMaster Carr should have what ya need!
http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-s...ttings/=5l2u9y
http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-s...ttings/=5l2uw1
Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Put a "t" in when you're rigging the manifold and you should be fine. I can't post a pic of mine cause I dump overboard but for my overboard dump, I ran "2" #6's lines into a tri-y fitting and a single #6 overboard.

I wouldn't go as large as #8's, I'd use #4 or #6 hose. You're relieving air pockets, not changing flow pattern. My .02 in what I learned with mine...
So.. after much thinking and discussing I have decided to break out the drill and go through the transom..

Can I just run a 90degree fitting on one side to a "T" and a 90 degree fitting from the other side to the "T" then from the "T" out the back? I am assuming we never touch the front 2 holes in the intake.. Just the rear 2?

What fitting did you use from Eddie???
Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice.. that is what I am looking to do.. but instead of 90 degree right angles I need to run a “T” and put my sensor and pressure senders in.

I have heard that a steam pocket can be “developed??” due to no circ pump and a crossover. Not sure how true that is..
One of the most popular and trusted marine performance motor uses a recirculating pump-----Merc HP525. I will be using a recir pump and thermostat setup. I just like the fact that the motor is in control of the water and the consistency of temps within the motor itself.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
One of the most popular and trusted marine performance motor uses a recirculating pump-----Merc HP525. I will be using a recir pump and thermostat setup. I just like the fact that the motor is in control of the water and the consistency of temps within the motor itself.
Yup.. I have heard it from my builder many times.. Big Merc fan.. works on them all.. from 496 up to the new 1075..

but my setup is done and I don't want to add belts, therm. housing redo all the plumbing ect.. many people here make a crossover work and they work well when setup properly..

Spoke to Hardin marine today in great length.. They think (and perhaps rightfully so) that my crossover is at fault. the bypass is a small 8an line.. only 7/16 thick. so.. when the thermostat opens a ton of water rushes through the block.. cooling down quickly.. then, the thermostat closes.. temps rise.. and the process starts again.. they said I need a cross over with a bigger bypass and that will help a ton.. also going to try their thermostat spacer.. run the rear lines from the manifold to the spacer..

and if that don't work circ pump here we come..
Old 01-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup.. I have heard it from my builder many times.. Big Merc fan.. works on them all.. from 496 up to the new 1075..

but my setup is done and I don't want to add belts, therm. housing redo all the plumbing ect.. many people here make a crossover work and they work well when setup properly..

Spoke to Hardin marine today in great length.. They think (and perhaps rightfully so) that my crossover is at fault. the bypass is a small 8an line.. only 7/16 thick. so.. when the thermostat opens a ton of water rushes through the block.. cooling down quickly.. then, the thermostat closes.. temps rise.. and the process starts again.. they said I need a cross over with a bigger bypass and that will help a ton.. also going to try their thermostat spacer.. run the rear lines from the manifold to the spacer..

and if that don't work circ pump here we come..
After you mentioned that. There is the old trick where you take off the bypass, and drill a couple small holes in the thermostat base. This lets a little water bypass through to keep the exhaust from overheating and still allows the thermostat to work properly.

This keeps the drastic ups and downs from occuring, and the engine stays at a more consistant temp.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
After you mentioned that. There is the old trick where you take off the bypass, and drill a couple small holes in the thermostat base. This lets a little water bypass through to keep the exhaust from overheating and still allows the thermostat to work properly.

This keeps the drastic ups and downs from occuring, and the engine stays at a more consistant temp.
I have drilled my thermostat.. depending on how many I drill, I can regulate the temp "OK".. like a 140 thermostat with 3 holes I can get to around 130 constant.. BUT.. each side of the intake is at different temps. as much as 15-20 degrees... i know the larger bypass will help a bunch.. also.. moving water from the back of the intake up front will make a difference as well.. might run a 4an line from/to each front intake port as well..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.