GPS handheld >

GPS handheld

Notices

GPS handheld

Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts
Default GPS handheld

I've been wanting a user friendly one for a while now. Any input on what all is needed as far as chips and what not. This will only be used on the great lakes and lake MI in particular. I don't know much about them at all and don't want to make a mistake if I purchase one and then find out I need to spend another $$$. I also don't want to spend as much time programing it as I would in drive time. All I want is to be able to use it for finding a port across the lake or in case of inclimate weather. What would you recommend? I would like color if not to expensive. I noticed these have a real wide variety of features and price.

Is the Garmin 76 csx a decent unit if I find a good price on one?

Thanks guys,
John
Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Wow, I did a little search and found the Garmin 640. That thing is awesome but a little pricey for the little use it would get. I really like the touch screen though and user friendlyness. I have an old Garmin 330 in my truck. That wouldn't by chance work on water or except waypoints would it? You can tell how much I use it. I normally have a good sense of direction until I finish a case.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Garmin 60c... bought it back in 05 I think. Works great.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a Lowrance unit, color, dont remember the model now but it takes a card, kind of like a camera card, with different info. i have a great lakes card and have used it in Lake Huron, Saginaw Bay, and it has some bigger inland lakes. i have found it to be very accurate. It is older, maybe 5 years, but at the time I found it easier to use than a Garmin. My only beef with handheld is screen size, you have to zoom in a lot for better detail, and brightness in the sunlight. if i were to get one now I would get a larger screen
Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Garmin E-TREX, it was about a hundred bucks, has chart plotting, plenty of waypoints and refreshes fast enough to travel 35 mph and not outpace the arrow. Perfect for when it's foggy or ink black out. All in about as much room as a cell phone.