External pick up vs. bravo pick up >

External pick up vs. bravo pick up

Notices

External pick up vs. bravo pick up

Old 02-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_man
Thanks, good Info. Currently I have a 25 OL sock 496 H.O. It is getting a Stellings box added and will be run in the highest "X" dim setting. Stock height is 6 1/2" so with box I am thinking around 4"??? No big HP till prolly next year (2011)
For now, I would try the drive pickup. If the pressure is a little low, then you may have to plug the side holes in the drive. You are moving the drive back as it goes up. So the drive is approx. still in the same plane as the water. The water will bend upward as it leaves the bottom of the boat. So, the farther back you go with the drive, the higher up you can go. General rule of thumb is for every 12" back, you can go up 2-3" and still have the drive in the same relationship to the water. In effect, you are not really changing the X in relation to the water. Do you understand? It's hard to put into words that everyone can understand. Let me know if you don't understand and I will try to explain it better.
Eddie
Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The water could potentially come back out of the drive, or the pickup for that matter. I can see where one could overpower the other. I guess it will all depend on what the strainer pressure is. What I do when I use a 2 stage pump is to feed it with a 1 1/2" hose, instead of 1 1/4" hose. The 1 1/2" can keep up with the 2 stage pump. If you are using both stages for the engine, the exhaust usually restricts the flow enough so that the pump will never empty the strainer. It has always worked well for me. I always at least check strainer pressure to see what it is. This gives me an idea of what's going on. Is the pump taking all of the water?(low pressure in strainer). Is the pickup to deep causing high pressure in the strainer?(high strainer pressure). This will tell me what to do. I like to see around 10 psi in the strainer. This ensures the pump will always stay full of water. In your case, I would just use the transom mount pickup for the engine and use the outdrive pickup as a drive shower. You have to do something with the water from the drive. You don't want to just plug it up because it will want to blow water back out of it and could cause the prop to cavitate. Best case it will increase the slip by not giving the prop clean water. Hope this helps.
Eddie
1 stage of the pump goes to the engine, the other to the intercooler. Plenty of places for the water to go.

How do you run the water back to the drive shower? Is there a kt or a diagram or a photo of this somewhere?

Thanks for the help,

Jeff
Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
So, the farther back you go with the drive, the higher up you can go. General rule of thumb is for every 12" back, you can go up 2-3" and still have the drive in the same relationship to the water. In effect, you are not really changing the X in relation to the water.
Just my additional 2 cents on this topic.
I also wondered about the difference between the "technical" X dimension and the "practical" X in relation to the water flow, because I was curious to check what the X (19") of my boat meant in terms of position of cavitation plate and prop shaft.

So, I made a calculation based on Mercury original drawings, with the result attached below: the brown line shows the alignment with the hull bottom (just 2" 13/16 above the prop shaft).
And since I also have the DWP, it's pretty obvious that if the water wouldn't bend upward after leaving the bottom of the hull, the side holes would suck air. Surely the notched transom also helps in this respect.

Anyway, the water pressure is steadily high, even at top speed, so what I can confirm is that at least up to this X level the DWP works just fine (at least of a Fever 27 hull).