Cabin carpet type

Notices

Cabin carpet type

Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cabin carpet type

Tried this elsewhere with no luck, so giving it a go here.

Is household carpeting used in the cabin of boats where it will never get wet? Marine grade is spec'd when used for outside where rain and sun exposure is an factor. There is nothing we like in the marine grade.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Tried this elsewhere with no luck, so giving it a go here.

Is household carpeting used in the cabin of boats where it will never get wet? Marine grade is spec'd when used for outside where rain and sun exposure is an factor. There is nothing we like in the marine grade.

Thanks
I am doing the same thing soon. I just planned on using the marine grade so it matches that of the cockpit however in your application provided it NEVER gets wet I wouldn't concern myself with it. Even if it does get wet which it probably will at some point I would think most indoor carpets are mold resistant now a days anyway. I would honestly finish it the way you want. Perhaps at some point resale could possibly be a factor however I would have to bet there are a ton of boats out there with the same thing. I really can't see any downfall to it especially if properly vented. I may even consider doing the same thing now that I think about it. The boat I bought a couple of years ago is a 78 and the guy I bought it from was the original owner. The boat only had 350 hours on it when I bought it. I had a complete list of all the things, maintenance, upgrades, etc. and both the carpet in the cuddy and cabin was replaced in 1989. The cabin carpet is not marine grade and to this day looks like new however I really need to ditch the brown. After pulling it out recently there is absolutely no signs of any issues what so ever.

Some may tell you otherwise however all I am just letting you know from first hand experience. Mine even got soaked a few times when the drain got plugged. Shop Vac and a van and all was fine. I would think the backing would be more critical than anything. Stop by a reputable carpet shop and ask them what backing would be the best for wet conditions and see if that what you have picked out would be OK.

Good luck,
John

Last edited by getrdunn; 02-17-2010 at 11:18 PM.